UNO for switching servo groups

I am building an RC airplane with two separate flight control systems. I am thinking that I can use the UNO to send the signals for the receiver to one servo group, or another, depending on the position of a particular arm, which itself may be moved by a servo that is activated when the gear switch on the transmitter is moved. When in home position, control signals are sent to one set of servos, and when the arm is in the alternate position, the UNO directs the signals to another group of servos.

Can this work? Additional hardware needed? What about programming? Thanks.

You can read RC signals from the receiver using code from http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/ and then direct control signals to wherever you like based on the input signals.

Thanks for the links. I am from Waterville, ME. What town are you in? :)

BradS: I am building an RC airplane with two separate flight control systems. I am thinking that I can use the UNO to send the signals for the receiver to one servo group, or another, depending on the position of a particular arm, which itself may be moved by a servo that is activated when the gear switch on the transmitter is moved. When in home position, control signals are sent to one set of servos, and when the arm is in the alternate position, the UNO directs the signals to another group of servos.

Can this work? Additional hardware needed? What about programming? Thanks.

Well, you could do this without electronics by providing a bank of changeover switches (one per servo channel to be switched) and having one hard-wired servo to mechanically operate the switches. But an electronic Arduino-based version seems far more elegant and likely to be much more reliable. In the Arduino solution, you'd connect all the servo channels to the Arduino and use pulse detection to read the position of each servo, then use the position of your control channel to decide which set of output pins to send the corresponding signal pulses out on. This also gives you the capability to 'park' the idle servos at a specified position rather than just switching them off wherever they happened to be, or driving both sets of servos concurrently, or mixing the signals in any way you wanted.

Just curious, why do you need two groups of servos, can't you just operate a single group of servos in two modes ? Manual or Autonomous mode, this is very easily done with Arduino.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

BradS: Thanks for the links. I am from Waterville, ME. What town are you in? :)

Near Concord, MA. About 200 miles (3.5 hours) from you.