uno linked to printrboard

Hi PEEPS, Complete NEWB to the world of arduino,
Before I go out spending money, I am working on a project using TOF sensors and there direction will be controlled via stepper motors, my plan is to use the stepper motors and the breakout board from an old 3d printer and would very much like to know is it possible to link up my UNO to a PRINTRBOARD breakout boad to control said stepper motors, if so could you provide some form of wire diagram as to how it can be connected up, and any useful links to scripts or library that you think I am going to need.

PRINTRBOARD EXTENSION CONNECTIONS.jpg

Images from Original Post so we don't have to download them. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

PRINTRBOARD EXTENSION CONNECTIONS.jpg

...R

When it was in use how was the 3D printer board controlled? Many of them expect to be sent GCode instructions - but I don't see a USB connection on your board.

In theory it should be possible for an Arduino to send GCode if the 3D printer board can accept serial commands but a PC or a RaspberryPi would make things a lot easier.

What microprocessor is on the 3D printer board? Maybe the simplest thing would be to re-program it to do what you want?

...R

I was given the printer as parts in a box, the only thing that I could see was missing, was the control screen, which you could control the motors, turn things on and off etc without using Gcode. it works on the same principle as my current 3d printer where by you plug in a micro sd card ( in the bottom right corner ). that would have the Gcode file created from a splicer program.
My mind tells me it should be possible to send some form instruction from the uno instead of the control screen. if that makes sense.

zzrblokey:
My mind tells me it should be possible to send some form instruction from the uno instead of the control screen. if that makes sense.

This suggests a very different picture in my mind to what I thought you wanted from reading your Original Post.

It now seems that you want to make the Arduino take the place of the missing control screen. If my cheap 3D printer is typical all of what was displayed on the screen is generated by the microprocessor on your board. I think it would be more practical to figure out what sort of display device was used and buy a replacement.

The inputs from the screen are probably very simple push-buttons and maybe a rotary encoder. But even if you could connect up those components you could not use them without being able to see the messages on the screen that the microprocessor produces.

I know it may seem a pity to waste the board but given the price of a complete replacement 3D printer board with a display panel I suspect the best option is just to buy a complete new unit. How many hours of your time are your prepared to spend getting the "free" board to work?

Another option might be to buy an Arduino Mega and a RAMPS shield and use your PC as the input device.

...R

A good way to start with the Arduino is to get the Arduino cookbook by Michael Margolis and read it. You will find on line many videos etc showing the Arduino and how to do use it some of it may be what you want. This additional information will go a long way in getting your problem solved. There are also many videos showing how to read a data sheet. Once you get past this you then need to select your sensors and actuators. At that point you start on the hardware design and write your software.

gilshultz:
A good way to start with the Arduino is to get the Arduino cookbook by Michael Margolis and read it.

Have you shares in that business? :slight_smile:

...R