Uno not responding

I just got my first Adruino Uno in the mail today and it worked fine for twenty minutes until suddenly when I told it to blink to show mom I got a 'programmer not responding' message. I tried pressing the reset button on the Uno, (multiple times) I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, I've tried switching from a mac (laptop) to a pc, (desktop) and a few other things but it just isn't responding. Is my Uno faulty?

When you plug it into the computer, does the computer recognize it as a USB device?

On the pc yes. After I plug it in the computer picks it up and then tries to install the right software but then it fails to do so then when I attempt to upload a sketch to the Uno it tells me either 'programmer not responding' or it tells me to select a serial port. When I try to do that though the computer won't let me.

PaperEmpathy:
After I plug it in the computer picks it up and then tries to install the right software but then it fails to do so...

"It fails to do so"? What does that mean?

It tries to install it but can't download the program.

Installing drivers for the Arduino Uno with Windows7, Vista, or XP:

Plug in your board and wait for Windows to begin it's driver installation process. After a few moments, the process will fail, despite its best efforts

Click on the Start Menu, and open up the Control Panel.

While in the Control Panel, navigate to System and Security. Next, click on System. Once the System window is up, open the Device Manager.

Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)"

Right click on the "Arduino UNO (COmxx)" port and choose the "Update Driver Software" option.

Next, choose the "Browse my computer for Driver software" option.

Finally, navigate to and select the Uno's driver file, named "ArduinoUNO.inf", located in the "Drivers" folder of the Arduino Software download (not the "FTDI USB Drivers" sub-directory).

Windows will finish up the driver installation from there.

I followed this just in case the wrong driver is present because I have the same issue and it doesn't allow me to upload a script unless I unplug everything from the Uno board.

I went and selected the Uno Rev.info file but under driver details it's using a usb driver(usbser.sys)? Is this how it is supposed to show under details or is it the wrong driver?

Pic attached:

Foolios:
I followed this just in case the wrong driver is present because I have the same issue and it doesn't allow me to upload a script unless I unplug everything from the Uno board.

I went and selected the Uno Rev.info file but under driver details it's using a usb driver(usbser.sys)? Is this how it is supposed to show under details or is it the wrong driver?

Pic attached:

Your drivers are the same as my Uno. What exactly are you unpluging to allow the upload?

LCD

4 bit parallel or Serial?

This one:

DG-12864-53-S2FBEB.PDF (809 KB)

Nice documentation for a GLCD.

Ok, it is a KS0108 compatible. Do you have a backpack that connects to the Uno with just a 4-5 wires or 13 wires or more?

Do you have a sample of the sketch that you are using for the GLCD?

What Arduino pins are you connecting your LCD to?

If you are connecting your LCD to pins D0 or D1 you could have problems uploading.
Those pins are used for serial communication between your UNO and your PC.
Try other ports if that is the case.

Thanks for helping me out Coding Badly and spcomputing. The Uno works fine now. ^^

It is all Coding Badly's fault. I deny everything!

Glad it is functioning to you expectations. The Uno is quite nice after the quarks are shaked out.

BTW, what was the final communications port (COM3, /dev/ttyACM0, etc) that you found?

PaperEmpathy:
Thanks for helping me out Coding Badly and spcomputing. The Uno works fine now. ^^

What did you figure out? Mine has nothing connected to D0 or D1.
I am using the default sketches for the glcd KS0108 library.

I can upload without problems if I disconnect the +5v and Grnd wires from the headers. This is what I've been doing to make it work. I remember initially using my arduino and uploading sketches with simpler sketches and no glcd wired up, simple led blinking stuff. I am guessing that it just might be normal for this to occur with GLCD's.

Foolios,

Try connecting your Arduino without the display to the USB and after it connects, go to device manager, and expand Ports.
Right click on the "Arduino UNO R3" and the "Properties".
Click the "Port Settings" tab and then "Advanced...".
Find the COM Port and expand the combo list and select a COM port greater than COM4 (not in use) and click "OK".

I gave that a try using COM5.
This is what I get with verbose mode on:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM5
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Darn, so much for the easy fix :wink:

How does Arduino perform with CodingBadly's Loop-Back Test?
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

Worked quite well. I thought it wasn't going to. But all the text echoed back in the lower portion of my serial monitor.