I have tried everything I could find, but I can’t get my UNO R2 to burn the bootloader on my new Atmega328P-PU chips on a breadboard.
I tried the ArduinoISP instructions with and without the Xtal and I tried the OptiLoad sketch. Nothing seems to work.
Here’s my setup:
- Windows 7 Pro and Arduino IDE v1.0
- Arduino UNO R2
- New Atmega328P-PU on a breadboard hooked up like the setup at the bottom right on the ArduinoISP page.
- Added a 10uF cap between reset and GND.
Here’s what I did:
- Hooked up the clean Arduino UNO R2
- Set the board in the IDE to Arduino UNO
- loaded the ArduinoISP sketch from the examples and burned it to the Arduino → no errors, verification successful
- Unhooked the Arduino board and connect everything up like the bottom right setup on the ArduinoISP page
- Close Arduino IDE
- Add the 10uF cap between Reset and GND
- Hook up the Arduino board (power LED on breadboard lights up)
- Start Arduino IDE
- Set board to Arduino Duemilanove w/Atmega328
- Set programmer to Asduino as ISP
- Select Burn bootloader
- I get error below
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
I recreated the circuit three times now. Same error, so I doubt very much the connections are the true culprit. I attached a picture of my setup.
I tried again using the Arduino Nano w/ATmega328 board selected. I get the same error.
I also tried using the OptiLoad sketch from WestW, but the IDE complains about missing OptiLoad.cpp files and I can’t find any instructions on how to use the sketch in Arduino IDEv 1.0. Where do I need to put what files? WestW, if you read this, contact me and I’ll write out a manual when I get things working.
I used Google and found a LOAD of references using other Arduino boards. I also found a lot of people saying they had no problem using the Arduino UNO and the ArduinoISP instructions (with and without the CAP). I doubt those latter people were using the UNO R2. :-/
Nothing worked with my setup.
I uploaded sketches I wrote to my board and these work fine, so I doubt very much my board is bad.
I ran out of options … Please help!?