UNO - unable to load program

New UNO (not a clone) will not load program. I am using IDE 1.8.13, Windows 10 pro 64. I am successfully using the same system to load a Mega 2560. I have enabled verbose compile and upload. The compilation messages look good. I get the following upload message:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM14
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xeb

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

The two error lines are repeated 10 times. I looked at the troubleshooting page and the only item that seemed relevant was the possibility of no bootloader. I noted that the LED on pin 13 does not blink when I reset the UNO. Does that mean that there is no bootloader?

Hi @k3pto .
Have you loaded the USB driver for this arduino UNO?
When plugging this UNO into the USB, does the port in "tools" appear with the correct COM and in black or is it grey?

RV mineirin

Hi ruilviana,
I have not loaded a driver. According to the documentation for the UNO, it uses the standard Windows driver - as does the Mega 2560. The correct comm port is shown and it is black. Opening the Serial Monitor works and it shows the proper values.

Yes. It should blink rapidly a few times as soon as you release the reset button.

This would indicate the next step is to burn the bootloader. This requires an ISP programmer. If you don't own one, you can use a spare Arduino board as an "Arduino as ISP" by following this tutorial:

HI Pert,
I tried following the tutorial and the instructions in the sample program and get this:
Error while burning bootloader.

The Heart Beat LED continues to blink but neither of the other LEDS comes on.

I'm going to ask you to post some additional information that might help us to identify the problem.

Please do this:

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  2. Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload".
  3. Click the OK button.
  4. Select Tools > Burn Bootloader from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  5. After the Burn Bootloader process fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar: Copy error messages. Click that button.
  6. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  7. Click the </> icon on the post composer toolbar. This will add the forum's code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the error messages are correctly formatted.
    Code block
  8. Press Ctrl+V. This will paste the compilation output into the code block.
  9. Move the cursor outside of the code block markup before you add any additional text to your reply.
  10. Click the Reply button to post the output.

Hi Pert,
Seems like it does not find the USB port:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

C:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

System wide configuration file is "C:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I find that the instructions in the bootloader program are not as clear as I would like. What do I have to do to enable the USB port?

I agree.

The step you missed is that you need to select "Arduino as ISP" from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Programmer menu. Please do that and then try burning the bootloader again.

Hi Pert, You are correct - I did miss that. I also tried both versions of Arduino as ISP. However, still no joy. Below is the verbose output of the upload. It looks like it cannot determine the device type.
I am using a 1 to 1 cable between the two ISP headers except that pin 5 on the Mega side is not connected and pin 5 on the UNO is connected to output 7 of the Mega. I edited the program accordingly. I do have the 10uf capacitor between RESET and GND on the Mega.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

C:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\_MyInstalls\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -PCOM10 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

Using Port                    : COM10
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53

Memory Detail                 :
                                  Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.