Uno WiFi rev2 SSID problem

I am attempting to set up an uno Wifi rev2 as an AP device. I am using the sketch simple AP server and it mostly works well. The issue is that the SSID and PASS variables in the line 'status = WiFi.beginAP(ssid, pass);’ seem to have no effect. I have assigned values to both of those variables but the device shows up in the list of available wifi connections on my smartphone and laptop as SSID of ‘ESP_5FB70D’ and shows it is an ‘OPEN’ connection. When connected to that ssid without a password the sketch runs as it should.

I thought I would see a connection in the list of available wifi connections with the string I set the ssid variable to and require a password with the password string I set to connect.

What am I missing here?

Has your system (probably your router) been assigned a password for this WiFi port? If not it is working as expected.

Thank you for your reply.
I am not using a 'router' I am using the uno as an access point. I am making a direct connection from client, android phone to the server, uno wifi rev2. The uno would have to handle all of the security.

I have asked the question over in the networking forum, maybe somebody has another idea there. Thanks again.

Good news I have updated the WiFiNina firmware to version 1.4.1 and the password is now working.