Uno WiFi rev2 SSID problem

I am attempting to set up an uno Wifi rev2 as an AP device. I am using the sketch simple AP server and it mostly works well. The issue is that the SSID and PASS variables in the line 'status = WiFi.beginAP(ssid, pass);' seem to have no effect. I have assigned values to both of those variables but the device shows up in the list of available wifi connections on my smartphone and laptop as SSID of 'ESP_5FB70D' and shows it is an 'OPEN' connection. When connected to that ssid without a password the sketch runs as it should.

I thought I would see a connection in the list of available wifi connections with the string I set the ssid variable to and require a password with the password string I set to connect.

What am I missing here?

I can't find any help for the WiFi.beginAP() function. I see help for the WIFI.begin() function..

What is the point of supplying those two parameters if they have no effect?

Does anyone know where I can find help for that function?

Thank you for your help.

Have you read this: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/WiFi101BeginAP

Thank you I am search challenged and did not find that. I will look at the information and see if I can get somewhere.

I still cannot get anything beyond the ssid to work. If I use any of the other parameters it makes the ssid 'ESP_5FB70D' and an open system. The security does not seem to be working.

I still cannot get anything beyond the ssid to work. If I use any of the other parameters it makes the ssid 'ESP_5FB70D' and an open system. The security does not seem to be working.

I think it would be worth you putting the code you are using on the thread so others can try it if they have the appropriate hardware - unfotunately I don't. Also what version of the IDE are you using and if you have any non-standard libraries where did they come from (providing a link is propably best) and what version are they.

Post the version that works and the version that doesn't when passed the ssid_password - or if the same code one set commented out with comments! That should make it very easy for others to replicate.

Not sure whether that was the right library I posted a link to earlier. There is also WiFiNINA rather than Wifi101 and there may be others. Did you get a pointer to which one you should be using?

Thanks again. I have found out some additional issues. All of a sudden I am getting the message that I need to update the firmware to the wifinina device using the example sketch simpleapserver.

I have followed the instructions to update the firmware and the process completed successfully but when I rune the Examples -> WiFiNina -> Tools ->CheckFirmwareVersion sketch it get

WiFiNINA firmware check.

Firmware version installed: 1.3.0
Latest firmware version available : 1.4.2

Check result: NOT PASSED

• The firmware version on the module do not match the
    version required by the library, you may experience
    issues or failures.

So something is still not right. Everything libraries, etc are up to date so I don't know how to resolve that issue.

Anyhow I now get an error when I upload the sketch after adding the pass parameter. I am seeing different instructions from the reference and example sketches so I am confused on how the password string should be formed.

Other than the password issue the sketches I am experimenting with are running well. I guess if this issue cannot get resolved I can write my own password function. What I am doing is not security critical it just needs to keep pests out.

Have you read this?https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=705386.0

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the hourly build as suggested but the firmware updater sketch wont compile. I get an error that I cannot begin to troubleshoot. Not sure where to go now.

Arduino: 1.8.14 Hourly Build 2020/12/01 10:33 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2, ATMEGA328"

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess.ino: In function 'bool isBigEndian()':

Endianess:20:6: error: redefinition of 'bool isBigEndian()'

bool isBigEndian() {

^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess - Copy.ino:20:6: note: 'bool isBigEndian()' previously defined here

bool isBigEndian() {

^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess.ino: In function 'uint32_t fromNetwork32(uint32_t)':

Endianess:26:10: error: redefinition of 'uint32_t fromNetwork32(uint32_t)'

uint32_t fromNetwork32(uint32_t from) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess - Copy.ino:26:10: note: 'uint32_t fromNetwork32(uint32_t)' previously defined here

uint32_t fromNetwork32(uint32_t from) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess.ino: In function 'uint16_t fromNetwork16(uint16_t)':

Endianess:41:10: error: redefinition of 'uint16_t fromNetwork16(uint16_t)'

uint16_t fromNetwork16(uint16_t from) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess - Copy.ino:41:10: note: 'uint16_t fromNetwork16(uint16_t)' previously defined here

uint16_t fromNetwork16(uint16_t from) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess.ino: In function 'uint32_t toNetwork32(uint32_t)':

Endianess:54:10: error: redefinition of 'uint32_t toNetwork32(uint32_t)'

uint32_t toNetwork32(uint32_t to) {

^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess - Copy.ino:54:10: note: 'uint32_t toNetwork32(uint32_t)' previously defined here

uint32_t toNetwork32(uint32_t to) {

^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess.ino: In function 'uint16_t toNetwork16(uint16_t)':

Endianess:58:10: error: redefinition of 'uint16_t toNetwork16(uint16_t)'

uint16_t toNetwork16(uint16_t to) {

^~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\Endianess - Copy.ino:58:10: note: 'uint16_t toNetwork16(uint16_t)' previously defined here

uint16_t toNetwork16(uint16_t to) {

^~~~~~~~~~~

In file included from C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:22:0:

sketch\ESP32BootROM.h: At global scope:

ESP32BootROM.h:24:7: error: redefinition of 'class ESP32BootROMClass'

class ESP32BootROMClass {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In file included from C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:22:0:

sketch\ESP32BootROM.h:24:7: note: previous definition of 'class ESP32BootROMClass'

class ESP32BootROMClass {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:31:3: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef struct UartPacket UartPacket'

} UartPacket;

^~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:31:3: note: previous declaration as 'typedef struct UartPacket UartPacket'

} UartPacket;

^~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:33:18: error: redefinition of 'const int MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE'

static const int MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE = 1024;

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:33:18: note: 'const int MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE' previously defined here

static const int MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE = 1024;

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino: In function 'void setup()':

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:42:6: error: redefinition of 'void setup()'

void setup() {

^~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:42:6: note: 'void setup()' previously defined here

void setup() {

^~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino: In function 'void receivePacket(UartPacket*, uint8_t*)':

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:51:6: error: redefinition of 'void receivePacket(UartPacket*, uint8_t*)'

void receivePacket(UartPacket *pkt, uint8_t *payload) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:51:6: note: 'void receivePacket(UartPacket*, uint8_t*)' previously defined here

void receivePacket(UartPacket *pkt, uint8_t *payload) {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino: At global scope:

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:81:19: error: redefinition of 'UartPacket pkt'

static UartPacket pkt;

^~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:81:19: note: 'UartPacket pkt' previously declared here

static UartPacket pkt;

^~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:82:40: error: redefinition of 'uint8_t payload [1024]'

static uint8_t payload[MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE];

^

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:82:16: note: 'uint8_t payload [1024]' previously declared here

static uint8_t payload[MAX_PAYLOAD_SIZE];

^~~~~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino: In function 'void loop()':

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater - Copy.ino:84:6: error: redefinition of 'void loop()'

void loop() {

^~~~

C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries\WiFiNINA\examples\Tools\FirmwareUpdater\FirmwareUpdater.ino:84:6: note: 'void loop()' previously defined here

void loop() {

^~~~
exit status 1
redefinition of 'bool isBigEndian()'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I suspect from the error mesages that an include file now appears twice and does not protect against double inclusion. Unfortunately, is i a little late, I have had a glass of something and any attempt to help could be less than beneficial.nI'll try and have a look tomorrow (Friday 4-DEC-2020) if I can find any time.
Might be worth turning the verbose option on and rebuilding to see if the more detailed error messages tell us anything more.

Thank you so much for trying to help me. I understand how valuable you time is.
I am not sure of what is happening now. I get the same error in the released version of arduino. Yesterday I was able to upload that sketch and update the firmware to v 1.3. The problem with the error seems to be confined to my desktop. I was able to do everything on my laptop without an issue. Although after updating to 1.4.1 it now says I need 1.4.2. I am old now and don't like the 'experimentation' as much as I used to.

I recently built a new desktop computer. A powerful machine with an AMD ryzen 16 core processor. I have always shied away from amd processors since having a laptop with one many years ago and encountering many weird errors with various programming languages that did not occur on machines with Intel processors.
I have been reading about these ryzen processors for a while and bought into the hype. I am now regretting the decision because the power is just not there and now I have this weird issue.

Now I can't blame the amd entirely because I have installed a couple of programs one b4a which is a basic like language for programming android phones which installs java files so something may have gotten installed that is causing these issues.

So I have some things to iron out. I wish I knew what would cause an error like that. I have searched and not found anything that seems to fit.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Sorry been a bad day, turned on my laptop this morning and the HD died. Should be able to repalce it tomorrow but it will take some time to get all the software restored. As a result of that I didn't get a chance to look at any Arduino stuff.

Just having more cores does not always make a machine faster. I have just been through that with my eldest son who was looking at AMD 6 and 8 core processors and wondering which was best. I had to explain that if a piece of software was only single threaded than more cores would not be as fast as a faster single core if just the one process was in use. As it happened the 6 cores were faster than those of the 8 core option so he decided that the 6 option would be best (much less expensive too - which may have been a larger influence).

I'm currently using my youngest son's PC since he has gone to bed.

I do notice that V1.8.0 of the Library indicates that V1.4.2 of the firmware is not released yet (1.8.0 is 16 days old). Not sure whether there is a typo, or the comment is out of date, or whether something else is the cause. This link implies 1.4.1 is still the most recent Releases · arduino/nina-fw · GitHub

Has anyone noticed any problems with the last link I posted, as when selecting it on this machine I seem to get a random site or site not found. Not sure what is going on but wonder if we have something unwelcome on this machine!

I noticed if you copy the link and look at in a text editor it starts with http://Https// Somehow the http:// is getting added and the colon in the https// is missing. if you take the http:// off and add a colon to the https// as in https:// the link works ok. Computers are so much fun.

I knew about the cores and thought I did the research and most of my cad and other design software would make use of them from what I understand I need to do more tweaking. I am running out of tweak.
In visual studio for example I can write something to take advantage of all of the cores but I cannot wrap my mind around more than a couple.

Good news. Since the update to v1.4.1 the password is now working.

Excellent news, so now you cna move onto your next set of problems!

It's amazing and after one firmware update everything is fixed., the sky is blue, the air is clear.
I have found that an old mkr1010 wifi board I bought way back when they first came out and I couldn't get anything to work now works well. That is the board I am going to proceed with it has lots of memory. Does not have any eeprom but does have a battery connector. Now I can just write code for a while.