"Unread Posts" acting strange lately

Recently, I've noticed some strangeness in the behavior of the "Unread Posts" button that's at the top of every forum page. For the longest time, it would show any threads I've viewed in the past, which have had new activity that I haven't seen yet. I've found that to be helpful for following those threads that are somewhat interesting but not worth subscribing to, or for checking in with the tablet without going to the computer and launching the email client to check subscribed message notifications.

A few weeks ago (I guess?) it started showing posts I know I've never visited before - posts I've never seen before, and some from forums I've never even looked into before (like the Italian and French language specific forums.)

Then, it stopped showing threads that I have seen before, but which have had recent activity. They would normally be on the list, but aren't.

Now, even the "new" tags on the recently updated threads inside a forum section (not the "Unread Posts" button list) are sometimes not showing up, even though they have been updated since my last visit.

So strange things are happening - has anyone else seen this?

I don't use the unread posts feature. But I have half-noticed something which may be relevant to your problem.

Quite often a Thread is moved from one section to another and it appears in the "moved-from" section as [MOVED} and locked. It used to be the case that that was the last you noticed of it and it would just disappear down the page.

Recently I have noticed that the [MOVED] entry shows up with a new tag and I guess that is because it has retained a link to the Thread in its new location and it gets updated when a new reply is added in the new location.

There was a case where (at my request) the Moderators moved a comment from one of my tutorials to a new Thread and someone who was following (don't know the technical details) my tutorlal got a notification when there was a new reply in that new Thread.

Sorry if this is rambling nonsense.

...R

Yes, I think I know the thread/post you are referring to, and that's a different situation. In that case, I was subscribed to the thread in question. When the post was split off and moved to its own thread, and somebody replied to it, it showed up in the "Unread Posts" list. I would expect that, and I think that is correct behavior.

This is different. In your example, I've had interaction with that post, even if it was somewhat tangentially. But I'm now seeing posts where I've had no interaction, especially ones in the various language specific forums, which I would have no reason to visit. I will occasionally run into a non-English post in one of the other forums, and when the French and Italian posts started turning up in the unread list, I figured it might have been one of those threads that were moved to the appropriate language forum. But I started paying attention, and it turns out that is not the case.

It's the same thing with a few other forums: for example I see some showing up from Project Guidance or Programming Questions. While I have visited those forums in the past, and initially thought they may be old forgotten threads, it turns out they were new threads that were started in the last day or so, and I had clearly never seen them before. So why are they on the list?

Then, when I started noticing new posts/threads in forums I visit daily, but they are not marked as "new" I began to question if there is something going on with the code or database that tracks new posts and threads that have been viewed.?

ShapeShifter: Then, when I started noticing new posts/threads in forums I visit daily, but they are not marked as "new" I began to question if there is something going on with the code or database that tracks new posts and threads that have been viewed.?

The only way I use the Forum is to look at the different sections and, in particular, the Threads marked "new". For all I know I am missing stuff.

...R