Unresponsive MEGA2560

HELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!
I have just bought myself a arduino mega 2560 yesterday and tried some basic tutorials, the blink tuorial works but nothing else, after trying other tutorials, my computer stopped detecting the board and the IDE couldnt communicate with the board. The computer could recognise a usb device but it couldnt be identified.

When the usb is connected, the led near pin 13 blinks once and nothing else happens. Then the TX, RX, pin 13 and power leds all stay on. when the reset button is pressed, the pin 13 led blinks.

I have also tried with different wires, computers and both windows 7 and 8.1. :frowning:

Let me guess.... does the windows device manager say
Otherdevice
! ft232r......

If so you may have the same problem that several others of us started seeing on the Nano just today.

If you can not get windows to see it as a com port you will not be able to able to load new code into it until you get that fixed. I think your description is that you have loaded the blink program and it is working... it will always have the blink program until the device is recognized by windows

thomasmanman:
the blink tuorial works but nothing else, after trying other tutorials

Are you sure you actually uploaded blink and this isn't just the default blink sketch running that came on the board?

In preferences turn on verbose output, copy and paste the text in the black box (wrapped in tags).

highflier:
f so you may have the same problem that several others of us started seeing on the Nano just today.

The 2560 boards do not have a FTDI chip. So would they show an issue that the Nano w/ a FTDI does?

That Mega card has the dreaded 32u4 chip on it and is direct-connected to USB. They save a dime by eliminating the FTDI chip. Meanwhile tons of people have circuit cards they can’t use because the bootloader ONLY allows uploads by USB. Windows users need to download the funny device driver found on this site. There are instructions on that same page for Mac users. Linux? Allegedly, it works with Ubuntu 10.04 without any additional downloaded device driver. Any other version of Linux? You’re on your own. With Linux, if something is “supported” it’s a case of Caveat Emptor.

pentius,

1. The Mega board does not have a 32u4 chip on it.
    Mega2560: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560
    The Mega2560 uses a 8u2 (rev1) or 16u2 chip to perform the USB to serial interface
    for the h/w UART inside the 2560 since the 2560 does not have native USB support.

The 32u4 is used on the Leonardo and has native USB support in h/w
and therefore does not need or use an interface chip convert its h/w UART to USB serial.
Leonardo: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardLeonardo

1. It doesn't seem helpful to be ranting so much about Linux issues.
    So far, there doesn't seem to be large group of other folks having issues.
    For the Linux issues you are experiencing,
    it would be more helpful to track down why it is not working for you but it is working for others.
    I've posted additional information about it working "out of the box" on
    several versions of Linux including 10.04 in your thread here:
    http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=268852.0

--- bill