unzip not found while building

Hello. I was trying to build Arduino from source and I follow https://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/BuildingArduino
I am running Windows 8.1 64Bit (until Linux can better handle UHD Displays)

As source I use the downloaded zip, not git.

I checked that “unzip” is available within CygWin by typing the command within a cygwin console.

But when I do “ant”
I somewhen get the error:

BUILD FAILED
<path>\Arduino-1.6.1\build\build.xml:822: The following error occurred while executing this line:
<path>\Arduino-1.6.1\build\build.xml:686: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "unzip": CreateProcess error=2, Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Please file an issue on github

I just found out that download paths in the build.xml file have changed. So you can not compile the Source of Arduino 1.6.1 anymore. Not a real "problem" at all - just an issue of changed URL's after the release.

Changed urls? Can you detail?

Yes. When I follow the messages during the build process, I can read warnings about that some files have been moved. Those URLs are defined in build.xml.

Message (example) is: [get] Getting: http://arduino.cc/download.php?f=/avr-toolchain-win32-3.4.5.zip [get] To: C:\Users\the-fallen\Downloads\Arduino-master\build\windows\avr-toolchain-win32-3.4.5.zip [get] http://arduino.cc/download.php?f=/avr-toolchain-win32-3.4.5.zip moved to http://downloads.arduino.cc/avr-toolchain-win32-3.4.5.zip [get] .................................................... [get] .................................................... [get] ....................................................

The file gets downloaded but unzip will not unpack them (for what reason ever).

At all there are some more (3 or 4 as I remember) messages of that type. If I unzip them manually afterwards and copy the files to the target where they belong, the build process can continue until the next download. After manually unpacking them all, the build process finishes successfully.

After cleaning the build target (ant clean) those problems occur again. I also tried it with the latest source-zip from yesterday (1.6.2) with same results.

So my opening thread was a bit overhasty but still there is a problem (at least for me). I guess unzip struggles with the message about the moved URLs.

unzip doesn’t know anything about those messages (it doesn’t “see” any of them). The problem is that ant cannot find the “unzip” program. Make sure it’s in your $PATH.

Here’s the build output from your first post:

<path>\Arduino-1.6.1\build\build.xml:686: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "unzip": CreateProcess error=2, Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden

“Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden” means “The system can not find the file specified”. That says that ant cannot run “unzip” because it’s not found. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the URL being moved.

That definately might be. I installed unzip into cygwin like the howto

https://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/BuildingArduino

mentioned. I guess ant and the build-process does not use cygwin at all?

So either I missed something or something is missing in that howto.

When you installed cygwin, it should have asked you if it was ok to add itself to the PATH environment variable It looks like that didn't happen, so you have to modify path on your own. Google for "windows environment variables" (this looks like a good guide) and ;c:\cygwin\bin to your system "path" variable

And don't worry about those moved files: it's intentional and expected

Thanks a lot. Now it is working and I can happily do some compiling without manual work. :D

I then checked if I just have not seen the option while installing cygwin, but it seems not to be there or is somewhere hidden (I used the cygwin windows 64bit net installer).