Up to date Eclipse install guide? Arduino specific items not found when building

I've been using Notepad++ for many years and have unsuccessfully tried to switch to Eclipse on multiple occasions. It's a huge jump in complexity and most of the documentation seems to assume a certain level of familiarity with IDEs.

I've worked up the courage to try again. I did some searching and found some guides, but they don't seem to agree with each other and I get to steps where options are mentioned that don't exist on my version of eclipse.

I would like to use eclipse for arduino, Python and hopefully some android programming. This would seem to rule out using atmel studio instead.

The most up to date and complete instructions I found were here: http://horrorcoding.altervista.org/arduino-development-with-eclipse-a-step-by-step-tutorial-to-the-basic-setup/ from about 2.5 years ago.

It's not without a few errors, but by reading other guides, I was able to piece it together. I was able to build ArduinoCore, but when I build Blinky I get

Symbol 'HIGH' could not be resolved main.cpp    /blinky line 23 Semantic Error

I get the same error for LOW, OUTPUT and the pinMode function. I think these are specific to the arduino, but I'm not sure how to fix this.

I know this is old, but I had the same problem and google led me here.

You need an #include "arduino.h" at the top.

Regards.