Update on where i am at

Well, my idea to build a server seems to have developed into building a network. due to an early morning impulse buy, I have acquired a Dell PowerEdge 1950 (1U) server, no hard-drives. it was a pretty good buy, I think. probably eventually turn it into a email server. my other server will eventually be a website server, though it awaits a CPU heat-sing and fan, as well as hard-drives.

So I decided, as I am a carpenter, that I may as well build a rack enclosure. I found some 24U rack rails, and I plan on developing an Arduino based monitoring system for thermal sensors (probably LM34), and it will control a large fan at the top of the rack enclosure (ramp up based on temp). I have a Nextion display for the GUI, and I will integrate a web interface as well. I will eventually fire up a blog, with code, probably on my Github using the Readme as the blog.

Anyway, I have been quiet lately due to a lot of intense research. several projects seem to have fallen to the back burner.

~Travis

My poweredge 840 is really loud too at boot but quietens down very quickly.
Think its a feature as I noticed a few poweredge people mention it and the work around is to fudge the bios on most of them.

Not going there cos it works like it should and will be moving to a cabinet (read dark closet with a good airflow) later anyway.

There are so some mods than can be done in replacing some of the fans too by all account.

Ahha that's where your Arduino skills come in to tell you if the noise / temperature / humidity is above or below norm and send it to your phone or other display (flashing beacon).

Like my intellinet KVM but would prefer something with a better set of display ports than the VGA ones and less like a dead spider when everything is plugged in…least its go usb LOL

Ballscrewbob: Like my intellinet KVM but would prefer something with a better set of display ports than the VGA ones and less like a dead spider when everything is plugged in...least its go usb LOL

We're in the process of refreshing all the old Tenix KVM switches at work. I'm glad we're finally scrapping those ancient heavy boxes.

We have some nice new Avocent and Belkin KVM's now. Everything is so much tidier without all the PS2 and VGA cables everywhere. Although some machines require a dualscreen KVM and there is little you can do about the spaghetti they turn into. Especially when the users descide to rearrange their desk with everything still plugged in.

I can say from using them, they work very well, and have never had to replace one due to fault.

A Pyro

I sort of cheat on dual screen...The 32" is always plugged into the main box and the 24" is plugged into the KVM on the side... It becomes the remote screen but I can still watch things on both.

I had an older two port Avocent but needed two more so I got this one off Ebay s/h and its been going strong for about 7 years. Don't use the audio side of it though as I don't really need it for client boxes under test or build and my server doesn't have anything for sound anyway.

Why do people even bother with KVM's anymore. I have got a wormhole usb cable and i can easily switch my mouse and keyboard between my mac and pc simply by moving my mouse onto the perspective screen.

@ Qdeathstar

Only two computers its probably fine but more than two or three ? How well would that work and could I keep one of my dual screens locked like I do now to a single PC. Any software involved ?

Ballscrewbob:
A Pyro

I sort of cheat on dual screen…The 32" is always plugged into the main box and the 24" is plugged into the KVM on the side… It becomes the remote screen but I can still watch things on both.

We do a similar thing. One side has dual screens (one dedicated and one shared with KVM), and the other only has a single screen (provided through KVM). Only a few people have a dual screen setup for both terminals.

Qdeathstar:
Why do people even bother with KVM’s anymore.

Security reasons. We have networks with different classification levels. The KVM allows sharing peripherals (mouse,KB,monitor) while keeping the terminals physically and logically separated.

travis_farmer: I found +5v written on the PSU. i thought, could it be that simple? the answer, YES :D so now i just have to make a supply for it. the easy part. :D

~Travis

lol, just wire a group of USB phone chargers in parallel. Over the years I've collected an abundance of these. Great fot the Arduino projects.

just go on craigslist and get you some skittles.

travis_farmer: Man am i pissed at myself right now. i thought i had more money than i did, bought a few small things on eBay, now i am screwed. i had the money, so it won't bounce, but i had it saved for bills and medication. just a really stupid mistake, so now i will have to go through withdrawals for a week. i don't know if anybody here takes Abilify, but the withdrawals are bad.

stupid, stupid, STUPID! >:(

~Travis

Just go nuts at your doctors office. They might give you a few sample packs.

travis_farmer: They don't have samples for Abilify as it is so EXPENSIVE. they have one time use vouchers (already used one years ago). I really despised the idea, but i borrowed from the Bank Of Dad.

Usually my budget holds up pretty good. but when i made a purchase, i thought i had more money than i did. but i forgot to save out for a few things.

~Travis

$729.23 with a coupon... Absolutely disgusting how legal drug dealers can charge so much. Probably $3 of chemicals in it when mass produced.

If you aren't already, you should get prescribed the stronger ones, then cut them in half (and halve the price).

In all seriousness, why don't you just get a bag of weed? it's got to be better for you than abilify....

also, they did a study a while ago that showed one dose of shrooms can help with depression for months after taking it. Plus you get to trip....

which studies have shown that smoking a joint or partaking in shrooms a few times a year constitutes damaged brain cells? Im not talking about dropping acid....