Updated Arduino and project is running very slow

Using ATMEGA328p in a standalone application. It has been working wonderfully using Arduino 1.0.5

I just updated to Arduino 1.6.9 and the project is running very slow (over 10x slower). It is as if a fuse setting is incorrect in the new environment making the ATMEGA run on a default setting. It is highly probable that I manipulated the 1.0.5 environment and forgot what I did as its been so long ago. Any suggestions on where to look to see what changed in the 1.6.9 environment?

Thank you in advance

Using 1.0.5: avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): found AVRISP mkII programmer AVR Part : ATMEGA328P Chip Erase delay : 9000 us PAGEL : PD7 BS2 : PC2 RESET disposition : dedicated RETRY pulse : SCK serial program mode : yes parallel program mode : yes Timeout : 200 StabDelay : 100 CmdexeDelay : 25 SyncLoops : 32 ByteDelay : 0 PollIndex : 3 PollValue : 0x53

Using Arduino 1.6.9: Using Port : usb Using Programmer : stk500v2 avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRISP mkII, serno: 000200135113 AVR Part : ATmega328P Chip Erase delay : 9000 us PAGEL : PD7 BS2 : PC2 RESET disposition : dedicated RETRY pulse : SCK serial program mode : yes parallel program mode : yes Timeout : 200 StabDelay : 100 CmdexeDelay : 25 SyncLoops : 32 ByteDelay : 0 PollIndex : 3 PollValue : 0x53

Try burning the bootloader again with Uno selected as board type. That will set it up for 16 MHz operation.

CrossRoads: Try burning the bootloader again with Uno selected as board type. That will set it up for 16 MHz operation.

Will do, but you have a point...

My board uses a 10MHz crystal, I wonder if I set up UNO for 10MHz to avoid this issue. But then again, I don't remember where that would have been set :(

I found the boards.txt file and updated it for 10MHz operation but burning the bootloader didn't help :(

But it does have something to do with the bootloader because if I burn the bootloader with 1.6.9 I am unable to load the program via 1.0.5.

If I burn the bootloader with 1.0.5 I am able to load the program with 1.6.9 but the project runs very slow (as reported originally)

I looked at the burn bootloader commands and I do see a difference in the options for avrdude...

1.6.9: -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

1.0.5: -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xde:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

Could the extra "-v -v -v" have something to do with it?

ugh, I'm stuck

please help