Updated 'boards' now I can't upload. Arg!!

This happens EVERY time I update the Arduino code or the 'boards' using the b mgr. I should learn to leave working stuff working.

Angry at the moment!! I've read through lots of TS stuff. Just doesn't work.

Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using.
Which Board are you trying to upload to.
Post all error messages shown in the console window after the upload fails. There should be an orange bar with a button that says “Copy error messages”, click on that and paste into a message here using code tags(</> button on the toolbar). If there is no “Copy error messages” button then just select all text in the console window, copy, and paste.

I think there was an issue a couple of days ago as some of my boards will not play ball with the latest cores.

This is from the latest 1.6.9 IDE installed after full removal of 1.6.5 (wish I hadnt LOL) with everything updated. Unos Nanos Megas inc some with the real ftdi, just sit there uploading forever. straight compile works without any issues but still lists warnings. ESP’s compile and upload fine with either an FTDI or a CH340, MKR also compiles and uploads (running is another matter SAD)

Core is 1.6.11 for the AVR’s, 1.6.6 for the Cortex M0, 1.6.4 mkr02 for the MKRs, 2.2.0 for the ESP’s

WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.config.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "{path}/bin/avrdude": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
	at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
	at processing.app.helpers.ProcessUtils.exec(ProcessUtils.java:26)
	at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:130)
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:209)
	at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:78)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1186)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1160)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1132)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2409)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:386)
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:137)
	at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
	... 9 more

hangs at 9 more

Ballscrewbob:
Core is 1.6.11 for the AVR's, 1.6.6 for the Cortex M0, 1.6.4 mkr02 for the MKRs, 2.2.0 for the ESP's

WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.cmd.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.cmd.path={path}/bin/avrdude. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated tools.avrdude.config.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf, automatically converted to tools.avrdude.config.path={path}/etc/avrdude.conf. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.

Please check to be sure you have AVR Boards 1.6.11 installed because you shouldn't be getting any of those warnings with 1.6.11.

Hi Pert.

Confirming 1.6.11 for AVR's under IDE 1.6.9.
This was a CLEAN install btw. REVO, followed by WISE, followed by CCLEANER, followed by restart.
I had been so happy with IDE 1.6.9. hourly for a couple of weeks I figured it was stable enough to take the chance.

screenshot included

No updateable items in libs or cores so all current.

Whatever it is came as part of an update I think.
Similar to the issues that happened on IDE 1.6.6.

Checked quite a few of the answers in there and most were unresolved or peeps had to backtrack to IDE 1.6.5