Updating Arduino and now setup and loop errors

I know that this has been discussed, but being new to coding I am having a tough time trying to decipher where the errors are located and everything I have tried to read the last couple of days has not helped clear up how to resolve the issue.

I am having issues with a delta printer and hardware seems okay so I am trying to just update the firmware to see if the system runs and is smoother as well.

It is running the Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560 board with the ATMega 2560 (Mega2560) processor.

My printer was running Arduino 1.1.8. I was trying to upgrade to the very latest Arduino (1.8.12), but there is no choice for my particular board on the tools list. So I get a can't compile error. I had to go to Arduino 1.8.10 to find the choices I need, but I am getting undefined setup and loop errors.

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\MERCED~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ccSkj9El.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `main':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:43: undefined reference to `setup'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:46: undefined reference to `loop'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Not being an experienced programmer, and I am unsure how to proceed. There doesn't seem to be a substitute that works for my system on the latest Arduino (1.8.12), So I had to go back to the 1.8.10 version to find the board I use. But I cannot identify the lines the errors are in, or if they are even located in some other sketch/code

I have tried the FILE/NEW then VERIFY/COMPILE and get no error with it. So, it would seem to me that the way the code is being loaded in from the Marlin.ini file should be okay.

Thanks,

Merced

You do know you have to set up the various parameters in MARLIN before you try to upload dont you ?

I wont go into it here as it can get quite complex but there are lots of examples out on the web.

Bob.

mercedromero:
My printer was running Arduino 1.1.8.

The term "Arduino" can refer to many things:

• The Arduino IDE
  • An Arduino board (e.g. Arduino Mega 2560)
  • The Arduino Programming Language
  • The Arduino project
  • The Arduino community
  • The Arduino company

So saying "Arduino" is not very helpful. I'm not aware of a version number "1.1.8" being applicable to any of the above things. Please be specific.

mercedromero:
I was trying to upgrade to the very latest Arduino (1.8.12), but there is no choice for my particular board on the tools list. So I get a can't compile error. I had to go to Arduino 1.8.10 to find the choices I need

Which board? Since the version numbers "1.8.12" and "1.8.10" could apply to the Arduino IDE, I'm going to assume that's what you mean by "Arduino" in this context. I'm not aware of any differences between Arduino IDE 1.8.10 and 1.8.12 that would cause a board to not show up.

mercedromero:
I am getting undefined setup and loop errors.

This likely means that you only have a fragment of the Marlin sketch on your computer. You need to download the entire repository. If you'll tell me which version of Marlin you're trying to use, I can provide detailed instructions on how to download the entire Marlin sketch.

mercedromero:
There doesn't seem to be a substitute that works for my system on the latest Arduino (1.8.12), So I had to go back to the 1.8.10 version to find the board I use.

If all you're trying to do is update the firmware on your 3D printer, either version of the Arduino IDE should be fine. There are improvements to the user interface between the different Arduino IDE versions, but if you are just going to do a single compilation and upload to your 3D printer board, then forget all about Arduino, none of that is of any importance to you.

1. "So saying "Arduino" is not very helpful. I'm not aware of a version number "1.1.8" being applicable to any of the above things. Please be specific."

Sorry, this part was mixed up. I am updating Marlin from 1.1.8 to Marlin 2.0

I am updating Arduino 1.8.5 to Arduino IDE 1.8.10

1. "Which board? Since the version numbers "1.8.12" and "1.8.10" could apply to the Arduino IDE, I'm going to assume that's what you mean by "Arduino" in this context. I'm not aware of any differences between Arduino IDE 1.8.10 and 1.8.12 that would cause a board to not show up."

The board is a Trigorilla AT Mega 2560 (Mega 2560)

I can upload the Marlin 2.0 again if it wasn't a complete file if need be. I know that when I opened the Marlin.ini file the first few times, Arduino IDE did not show a tab for the config.h.

Thank you for the time.

mercedromero:
I am updating Marlin from 1.1.8 to Marlin 2.0

OK, but still the vagueness makes things difficult. There is no "Marlin 2.0".

Here's how you can get the latest release of Marlin:

• Open the "Releases" page of the Marlin repository on GitHub: Releases · MarlinFirmware/Marlin · GitHub
  • Scroll down until you see the "Source code (zip)" link. Click on it. This will download the latest release of Marlin (currently 2.0.4.4).
  • Unzip the downloaded file.
  • Start the Arduino IDE.
  • File > Open
  • Select the file Marlin/Marlin.ino from the unzipped folder.
  • Click the "Open" button.

mercedromero:
I know that when I opened the Marlin.ini file

It's Marlin.ino. .ino is the file extension for Arduino sketches. There is no Marlin.ini.

mercedromero:
Arduino IDE did not show a tab for the config.h.

After following the above instructions, you should see a "Configuration.h" and a "Configuration_adv.h" tab in the Arduino IDE. In those tabs, you can configure Marlin for your 3D printer.