Updating sketch without IDE

Hi all,

Is it possible to update the sketch of an Arduino without the IDE? The reason is simple, I am developing an Arduino-based device and I would like to offer updates as I add more features. Is it possible at all? Any known documentation on the topic?

Thanks in advance,

Something like this might be what you are after http://russemotto.com/xloader/

That's an interesting link - though the product seems to be Windows specific.

The OPs question got me thinking ...

I'm not sure there is much to choose between the complexity of using the Arduino IDE or the program in that link - in both cases the user will need to download and install a loader program.

If the user has to download the Arduino IDE there is an opportunity to introduce another person to the fun of Arduinos.

Using one of the JVM languages it should be possible to write a program that runs on any PC and which, when "double clicked" will directly upload the sketch - in other words like the program in the link but with the Arduino sketch already included so the user is not aware of having to install a loader program.

...R

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. However, the link above is a step forward already.

The thing is, some people would like to be introduced to the fun of Arduino but also a lot of people just want the device that fulfills their needs, so the easier, the better.

I think if you turn on verbose output for upload in the Arduino IDE preferences you can see what command line arguments are used with AVRDude to upload a HEX file. You would maybe have to adapt it for difference PC's as the serial port could be different but the principle should remain the same. Just need to alter the HEX file name and path.

marcalcc: Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. However, the link above is a step forward already.

The thing is, some people would like to be introduced to the fun of Arduino but also a lot of people just want the device that fulfills their needs, so the easier, the better.

I call them the plug-and-play crowd and they fly away from the original intent of the arduino project to learn to do stuff. I have little patience for them when they post their requests for complete sketches and/or hardware designs.

Lefty

Robin2: I'm not sure there is much to choose between the complexity of using the Arduino IDE or the program in that link - in both cases the user will need to download and install a loader program.

Agree about the 'loader program' but surely it is much easier to upload a HEX file compared to installing the Arduino IDE and all of the required libraries - with emphasis on the required libraries. I have an application which uses a large number of graphics and libraries and it is much, much easier to provide a compiled HEX file rather than all of the individual files and libraries.