Upgrade wifiShield firmware failed - could not open usb device

Hi there

I’m tryng to upgrade the firmware from my wifi shield. I’m following the upgrade instruction from the arduino forum (http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/WiFiShieldFirmwareUpgrading).

But I’m not succesfull. I get the error message

fail could not open usb device

see also the screen shot as attachment.

Can me help somebody?

Thanks a lot.

Urs

cmd screen.png

Looks like the DFU firmware is not running properly on the WiFi shield. I think you will have to update the firmware with an ISP device.

Did you upgrade the driver included with the Atmel Flip application? It is in: /Program Files/Atmel/Flip 3.4.7/usb/UpdateDriver My install has a couple html docs there that show how to upgrade the driver, one for WinXP and the other for Win2K.

Hi, I had the same problem (on windows 7)
In the device manager, I pointed windows to the directory of flip 3.4.7, there he found the driver.
After the driver installed, I followed the upgrade instructions from Arduino; I ran:

batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer “C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/hardware/arduino/firmwares/wifishield/binary/wifi_dnld.elf” program verify start reset 0

which worked, and then

batchisp.exe -device AT32UC3A1256 -hardware usb -operation erase f memory flash blankcheck loadbuffer “C:/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/hardware/arduino/firmwares/wifishield/binary/wifiHD.elf” program verify start reset 0

which failed again. I had to reset the device to complete this last step.
Now the command WiFi.firmwareVersion() gives 1.1.0 as the version number.

However I still have the feeling that the firmware upgrade didn’t complete correctly because I still can’t get a response from the web server in the example WifiWebServer (in Arduino 1.0.6)

Does anybody have an idea why I need to reset the device between the two steps in the firmware upgrade? And, if this might be a problem?

Cheers,

Samuel