Upgrading target from one to another port while sketch-upload

Hello Aruino-Community

Im trying to programm my adafruit nRF52840 feather. I created a serial-interface that is continiously reading, actually a pritty simple code. The aim is to send Strings from my computer to the nRF-Chip.
Anyway, every time I upload my sketch, arduino trys to upgrade the target (from port COM6 to COM8). I observe in the device-manager how the serial-port changes for a few seconds from COM6 to COM8, and backwards after a few seconds later. You can hear the windows sound of a disconnected and re-connected device too.

The Error is as following:
“Upgrading target on COM8 with DFU package C:\Users\Padi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_411245\UART-Read.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch disabled
########################################
####################
Activating new firmware
Device programmed.
Board at COM6 is not available”

My HP-Laptop is running on Windows 7. I installed the latest version of arduino (1.8.9), installed all new adafruit drivers, bootloaders and libraries for the adafruit nRF52840. I could choose normally the port (COM6) and the weird thing is, that the adafruit nRF52840 feather even receives and runs the code.
The described scenario is shown as a print screen below…

The main reason, why I try to solve this error, is because the switching of the ports interrupts the serial.write-programm from my laptops labview-software. This should run parallel and send the string to the nrf-device, from which the string should be transfered via BLE to another nrf-device.
Its the first time I use Arduino, so its hard to understand why this error happens. I invested already a lot of time to solve it.

Therefore I’m very greatful for any kind of input, advice or solution :slight_smile:

This seems like something very specific to the particular Adafruit board you're using. Although we're always happy to help on this forum no matter which board you have, you may find there is more knowledge about this particular issue on the Adafruit forum.

If you do ask about this on the Adafruit forum, please post a link to it here so that it will be easy for anyone else with the same problem to find all the relevant information.

Thank you for the quick response pert. its a quite important project I'm working on, therefore time is soemthing I don't have much of ^^

This is the link in the Adafruit-Community:
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=153567

However, if anyone has an input your very welcome to post it in this or the Adafruit post.

paddy93:
time is soemthing I don't have much of ^^

Obviously, it would be nice to find a solution for the error, but from what you say it sounds like this is only a spurious error message and uploading is working just fine:

paddy93:
the adafruit nRF52840 feather even receives and runs the code.

Don't let a little quirk of the Arduino IDE stop your progress. Just keep working on your project.