Upload data with ESP8266

Hi, I'm doing a project with Arduino and I need to send my data into my database, but I don't know how to do that. Which Is the easiest code to do that with my ESP8266?Thanks :slight_smile:

What kind of data do you want to upload? I’ve seen cloud services regarding weather station data

Exactly that data. I've seen a lot of video but someone uses nodemcu (that I don't have) and I can't find an example to use only Arduino uno and ESP8266, if It is possible

Sorry, are you after a database/cloud advice or are you wanting to use an Uno and a ESP8266 together?

The second one. And I know that there are a lot of tutorial but I can't find the right tutorial

Ah okay. No idea then sorry. I was going to suggest a cloud. Never used an 8266 and uno together

exiledyorkie:
Never used an 8266 and uno together

And with good reason. The concept of using an ESP8266 and an Arduino UNO is always a problem.

The ESP8266 (NodeMCU or WeMOS D1 Mini) is in most respects, far more capable than a UNO and the UNO is a very inconvenient form factor for most applications unless perhaps there is a "shield" for it that performs all the tasks you require.

Go get a WeMOS D1 Mini (actually, get two - or four - very cheap on eBay and other such places; so get serious about this!) and start practising coding on it! Whatever you were coding for the Arduino will generally transfer directly to it quite easily.

Thanks for the reply. Which Is better, wemos or wifi shield for arduino uno?and what about the nodemcu?

Did I not point out that adding a WiFi shield to a UNO is doubly inappropriate?

The WeMOS and NodeMCU are essentially functionally equivalent (but without looking, the NodeMCU may have more I/O).

The nodemcu is physically a larger board with more I/O pins but both are cheap, so maybe try both.
Although I’ve been more drawn to the Wemos D1 mini. The 3rd version seems to be the latest one.

this is a bit confusing.

you can connect your UNO to your PC and read the data, save it to a spreadsheet.
then have your PC on the internet and you can read the data from the files on your PC.

You can post data to one of the many cloud services.

many of the garden projects show how to send data to one of the cloud services with an ESP8266.

as noted, using an UNO and and EXP8266 is not recommended.
the new NANO-33-IoT has the Wifi on-board of the NANO board so it does offer a single board solution.
the ESP8266 is a self contained unit so can work as a replacement for an UNO, but has few pins and only one A/I pin.

as for the nodemcu and the Di, they both have the same # of usable IO pins, the nodemcu brings out the SPI bus that is connected to the memory, so if you try to use those pins for anything else, you risk some headaches.
the ESP32 has lots more pins and more A/I pins.

What we are trying to do is to have you give us the project details and what you are trying to do.
you can send to your database with the serial link and not need anything else.

dave-in-nj:
as for the nodemcu and the D1, they both have the same # of usable IO pins, the nodemcu brings out the SPI bus that is connected to the memory, so if you try to use those pins for anything else, you risk some headaches.

Ah! So I was right. :grinning:

They are indeed, functionally equivalent in general and the D1 mini (not the D1) being physically smaller and cheaper, is to me the "go-to" module. :sunglasses:

Paul__B:
Ah! So I was right. :grinning:

They are indeed, functionally equivalent in general and the D1 mini (not the D1) being physically smaller and cheaper, is to me the "go-to" module. :sunglasses:

the NodeMCU allows you to program with LUA, but it seems that LUA never caught on.
I think that V2 boards are one row narrower and can be used with a protoboard.
the V3 are too wide and do not offer access to pins on both sides.
I had to get two boards and connect them with only one power rail to allow access. as silly as Massimo's mistake on the first UNO boards.

Some comparisons show the D1 mini with 11 usable pins and the NodeMCU as having 10.
since there is no actual board layout specification (which got WAY worse on the ESP32) you have to check the board you are buying to the data sheet for the module they are providing. AI-TINKER on the NodeMCU.

Ah okay, I thought the Nodemcu has more pins. Good to know

dave-in-nj:
the NodeMCU allows you to program with LUA, but it seems that LUA never caught on.

I believe that you can use LUA in all ESP8266 modules that has the same flash or more. Maybe you have to translate pin numbering.

dave-in-nj:

No, the NodeMCU (board module) does not "allow" you to program with LUA.

LUA is a firmware which can be run on any ESP8266 with sufficient resources, a D1 Mini as well as a NodeMCU.

The confusion here is that the name "NodeMCU" is used to refer to a board (with a couple of versions, poorly documented) and a LUA-based software interpreter which can be loaded to a NodeMCU board or a WeMOS D1 mini, though you may require the right build to do so.