upload error...

I'm using an Arduino Diecimila. My OS is Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (Gutsy).

I have, in the past, used this board and this OS together with great success, but for some reason I can't get it work now. I've installed sun-java6-jre, gcc-avr, avr-libc, and ran 'sudo update-alternatives --config java' to make sure I was using real Java.

The program runs fine until I try to upload to the board. The verbose output I get is:

Binary sketch size: 1398 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum) hardware/tools/avrdude -Chardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm168 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyS0 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:/home/defrex/sketchbook/sketch_080323a/applet/sketch_080323a.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 22 2007 at 13:15:12 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "hardware/tools/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/home/defrex/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/ttyS0 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 19200 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

:(

I was really excited to get started on this project. Any help would be awesome.

Did you pick the right item from the Tools > Serial Port menu? /dev/ttyS0 sounds like it might be a physical serial port; do you have a /dev/ttyUSB0? Or some other device that only appears when you connect the board?

Ya, I definitely had the right device. It's not as big a deal that I solve the problem anymore though. I basically gave up on that machine programming arduino and went back to 32 bit Ubuntu on my laptop so I could do it from there. On a fresh (32 bit) machine, I was able to get everything running no problem.