Upload from laptop w/out full ide config

I normally develop sketches from my desktop computer. But I have some remote arduinos where I want to upload new sketches.

Is there a way to upload these remote Arduinos from my laptop without having to fully configure a new Arduino IDE? I have already installed the IDE in my laptop, but to download the board managers, libraries, etc seems like a lot of effort.

Is there a way to get the upload module from my desktop and put it into my laptop for upload?

Thanks

Is there a way to get the upload module from my desktop

Yes. The end result of the compile/link process is a hex file that you can copy anywhere you want.

You'll still need avrdude on the laptop, to upload the hex file.

frank2644: I normally develop sketches from my desktop computer. But I have some remote arduinos where I want to upload new sketches.

Is there a way to upload these remote Arduinos from my laptop without having to fully configure a new Arduino IDE? I have already installed the IDE in my laptop, but to download the board managers, libraries, etc seems like a lot of effort.

Is there a way to get the upload module from my desktop and put it into my laptop for upload?

Thanks

If your laptop is running on Windows, you can use the XLOADER tool for uploading the compiled hex file to an Atmega board(like UNO or MEGA2560).

Thanks, guys…I decided to try just copying all related libraries and folders to the laptop and amazingly, it worked…

I was careful to use the same IDE version and even though the desktop was W7 and the laptop was XP, it worked.

Wonders never cease…

That's not a wonder, that's because it's all uncompiled C/C++. Even if you used a different version of the IDE it would still work (if you don't try to use prehistoric version of something). And everything is just a clear file dependency :)

There are a number of ways to upload a compiled hex file (vs compiling from scratch on the remote computer). XLoader for windows was mentioned, but if you are looking for a portable command line way, 'avrdude' comes with the IDE, but can be used as a completely standalone way to flash a device without full IDE. Best yet, there is a version for Windows, Mac and Linux out there. There is also a Python wrapper for it so you can write your own python code to flash anything anywhere :-)

HTH,

-HH