upload problem no tx or rx lights

Hello,

I received my Arduino Uno R2 last week and had a lot of fun with it for a week. I managed to upload example programs and a few iterations of mine. But I am now running into the following problem during upload:

Binary sketch size: 1234 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodem1a21 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/Af/Af-1viEqGm4n46QB-u+RZU+++TM/-Tmp-/build6342882153532595566.tmp/Test_fan.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/Users/julie/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbmodem1a21 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

My config is a imac running mac osX 10.5.8, I have the IDE 00022. I read the troubleshooting faq and googled for other posts for a couple hours. I checked the board used and the serial port in the IDE. I tried resetting manually and changing the port from from tty to cu. I tried with another computer (iMac laptop) and tested the cable with a printer (printed fine). I inspected the board closely and cannot find any traces of burnt components. When connected to USB, the pwr led is on and Led L flashes a few times just after connecting (so I guess I still have a bootloader). When connected to USB or power the previously uploaded sketch runs normally (varying pwm output on pins 9 10 and 11; cycling through colors on a RGB led) When uploading, neither the Rx or Tx leds flash...

Are there any other diagnostic tests I can carry? What would you suggest I do as the next step? Is there a customer support or warranty for official cards?

Thanks for your help,

Greg

check out my site, it is for a linux distro but it will tell you what you need to know. http://evolveelectronics.net/?p=613

a hint, look at the line after the AVRdude copyright info. It is trying to find a config file that doesnt exist.

Simply copy "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" into a file called "/Users/julie/.avrduderc" then you should be able to do what you want.

Did this help with your problem greg?

Hi EvolveElectronics, No, I tested it yesterday night. Still same problem.

The system config is world readable (rrr), I copied it it to the local user config file as you instructed anyway and although it removed the complaint about the missing file, this did not change the subsequent recv error messages.

However I did another test: I removed the Atmega IC and connected pins 1 and 2 (Rx and Tx); connected the board via USB and tried the serial console in the Arduino IDE and screen /dev/tty.usbmodem???? in the Terminal. In both of them when I input a character, nothing is printed on the screen; which I think indicates that the USB controller is malfunctioning.

Either I do something wrong with that loopback communication test or some of the pins of the USB controller on the board might be fried (not the whole chip as I still get power and the device gets recognized by the computer).

Do you know of a test I can do to check whether that IC is fried?

Thanks for your help.