Upload Sketch to Arduino Pro Mini

Hi there, first of all: If this is the wrong forum, please move it, where it belongs to :)...

A few days ago I received some Arduino Pro Mini Clones from China. They've printed "Deek_Robot" on their back. According to this info they should be 5V/16MHz-Versions of the ATmega328.

After I soldered all connectors to the board I wanted to start uploading Sketches with the assistance of my Arduino Mega 2560.

I connected the inputs / output as follows:

| Arduino Mega 2560 | => | Arduino Pro Mini (by Deek_Robot) | | - | - | - | | TX0 | | TX | | RX0 | | RX | | 5V | | VIN | | GND | | GND | | RESET | | RESET |

When I power up my Arduino Mega, the Pro's LED is blinking so I'm assuming the bootloader is correctly burned on the Atmega. I set up my Arduino IDE as follows:

• Board: Arduino Pro or Arduino Pro Mini (5V / 16MHz) /w Atmega328
  • Serial Port: /dev/tty.usbmodem1421

When I'm trying to upload a sketch to the arduino mega, I get the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Has anyone an idea how the fix this problem? A already tried to push the Reset-Button on the Mini when the Sketch should be uploaded :(. I'm running out of ideas...

I'm using a MacBook with OSX Mavericks (latest Updates installed).

Update: It seems to be a Deek-Robot clone. I have exactly this pinout:

phumpf: - Board: Arduino Pro or Arduino Pro Mini (5V / 16MHz) /w Atmega328 - Serial Port: /dev/tty.usbmodem1421

When I'm trying to upload a sketch to the arduino mega, I get the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Well, if you select the pro mini board and then upload to Arduino Mega, it won't work.

Before anything you have to upload ISP programmer sketch to Arduino Mega (select Arduino Mega board).

Just then you can select arduino pro mini board and upload conecting arduino mega to arduino mini pro, but you have to select the option "upload using external programmer".

Thank you for your reply, if I get you right, I upload the ArduinoISP sketch to my Mega. After doing this, I select the Arduino Pro as my Board, the Serial Port is the one used for the Mega and as Programmer I select "Arduino as ISP". Correct?

After that, I will need to connect the Arduinos this way:

| *Arduino Mega * | => | *Arduino Pro * | | - | - | - | | 53 | (slave reset) | Reset or DTR? | | 51 | (MOSI) | 11 | | 50 | (MISO) | 12 | | 52 | (SCK) | 13 |

... and of course VCC and GND from the Mega...

Does that look ok?

Regards

mart256:
Just then you can select arduino pro mini board and upload conecting arduino mega to arduino mini pro, but you have to select the option “upload using external programmer”.

I attached the options of the programmers i can use :).

€dit: Ah, I found the Upload Using external programmer entry :). Sadly, I still get the error :(. Did I forgot / mixed something up with the wiring? I remember reading somewhere something about adding a capicator between the Mega’s GRND and RESET…

Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-01 um 20.26.26.png

Okay, works like a charm now! Whoohoo! Needed to Connect Pin 53 with the reset pin on the pro mini :) :)