Upload to Duemilanove error.  Please help

I have a Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega328. I have used it before and it worked fine. I just pulled it out again and its been a few months. When i went to upload some code i got this error "Binary sketch size: 1010 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51" Im not sure what the problem is. I have Windows vista 64 bit. Ive been through all the troubleshooting on the Arduino website and still no luck. :'( Also when i click the reset button all the lights stay the same. The green light stays on and the L light doesnt flash. The L light never flashes. Im not sure if that matters or not just thought i should let you know.. Any help is much appreciated

You have the correct COM port selected under tools as well? When I open older programs (those created with -0018 vs -0021), a lot of times the COM port is not checked, make sure there is a check it the box next to the COM3 or whatever is there.

Yeah COM3 is checked. And the RX light flash's on the board when i try to upload to it

You might try verbose output (hold down shift while pressing upload) and paste the full message here. Are you sure the board has a 328 and not a 168? It's strange that the L LED doesn't flash when you reset the board. It should, controlled by the bootloader code.

Yeah im sure its 328. I did the verbose thing and this is what it said.

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Ross\Desktop\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM3 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 57600 avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done. Thank you.

Without the Arduino plugged in, what shows up in the Tools + Serial port list?

With the Arduino plugged in, what shows up in the Tools + Serial port list?

What is checked in that list?

When the arduino is not plugged in i can not click on the serial port button in tools. When it is plugged in COM3 is the only option and it is checked.