Upload to Lilypad doesn't work on Ubuntu 9.04

Hi. I connected a Lillypad Arduino with my Ubuntu 9.04 machine. Every time I try to upload something to the board, I get the following error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

After pressing the upload button the RX LED on the breakout starts blinking, the TX LED does nothing.

I followed all the steps on the Installing Arduino on Linux page, installed the sun-java6-jre, avr-gcc, avr-libc packages and removed brltty.

In the Arduino IDE I chose Board -> Lilypad Arduino w/ ATmega328 and Serial -> /dev/ttyS0.

I don't think this is a hardware issue since I successfully managed to upload something from my macbook pro.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

/dev/ttyS0 doesn't sound right. Try /dev/ttyUSB0.

thanks. now I get

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xe0

is it the same issue as this one: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243607033 ?

I doubt it because you said you already successfully uploaded from your Mac.

But I suppose you could try uploading after pressing the reset button. You will need "good timing" to press the reset button at just the right time and might need a few attempts.

I tried uploading after pressing the reset button several times, varied the uploaded code, but I still get the same error...

Go back and try with the Mac?

If that doesn't work, my only remaining sage advice is "fried board" :(

Can you select the port from the IDE menu? Is it available at all there? I had problems with Fedora 11, the trouble was, that the regular user had no read/write permissions over /dev/ttyUSB0 - you can check that also.

i can select the following ports from the IDE menu:

When running Arduino as root it returns the same error...