upload with AVRISPmkII only (No usb cable)

Hello,

I have a question about uploading a program with an AVRISPmkII only. (AVRISPmkII tool is used to upload AVR microcontrollers with ISP interfaces).

-I have a Arduino leonardo powered by an external power supply (+9V). -I use an AVRISP mkII to upload my programs. -I am working on an mac OSX yosemite. -I use the Arduino 1.0.5 or 1.5.6 IDE.

Is there any way to upload my programs with the AVRISPmkII without the need to have usb cable plugged in the board during the upload process ?

Have you tried it? Does it not work? What happens?

As you may be aware, the AVRISP mkII does not supply power, but as long is the board is powered somehow, the USB cable should not be necessary.

I've used 3xAA or 3xAAA battery pack to power boards during MKii programming.

Folks have also hacked the MKii to pass along USB power from it's cable, and added a 3.3V regulator & switch to select 3.3V or 5V to power the target board. Here's a simple way to provide (Vusb - 1 diode drop) to the target power pin. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=125502.0 I think I'd go with 1N5818 just because I happen to have a bunch on hand. 3.3V/8MHz devices can be powered from 5V - Be careful if there are 3.3V powered devices connected tho, the higher voltage could kill them.

And there's the regulator/switch hack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICQXqVy3Hpc

Hello,

Thanks for the answers. I noticed the hack of the MKii to pass along USB power. (Good hack!) However I already powered my Arduino leonardo through an external power supply (+9V Laboratory power supply)

Jack Christensen :: If I try to upload the blinky project with the MKii, I have the following error :

"Arduino: 1.5.6-r2 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

Sketch uses 5,138 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes. Global variables use 153 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,407 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.

Board at /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 is not available."

I do not understand, cause the Serial port is not used in the Blinky project. Should the MKii works without USB cable and an external power supply ? What can I do to find what it is the problem ? Have you tried it ?

Do not hesitate to ask me if you need more information.

Are you using File > Upload Using Programmer (Ctrl-Shift-U), or holding the shift key down while clicking the upload button?

Hello Jack Christensen,

I am using the option : File > Upload Using Programmer (Ctrl-Shift-U). I tried the others possibilities, but same thing :

"Board at /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 is not available."

Any "other" idea ?

Not much I'm afraid. Drivers OK? I'm using Windoze so hard to comment on OSX.

I tried to re-install the avrdude - usb drivers, but still same thing. I even tried with another MacOSX computer (I do not have windows OS) and another Leonardo board, but still same thing. :slightly_frowning_face:

At the moment, I did not find a way to fix it. I have to keep going to develop my projects. But anyway, thanks Jack for trying to find a solution to my problem.

Regards

Have you tried with Atmel Studio?