Uploading a sketch on Arduino Uno: "stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0"

I’ve bought Arduino Starter Kit with Arduino Uno inside. When I was trying to upload the example with the Arduino Ide I got the following error:

stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

My Operative System is Windows 8 but i had the same error on Windows 7 and a similar on Ubuntu(“stk500_recv() programmer is not responding”)

Drivers, type of board and port are properly set.
The Loop-Back Test test works fine.

Here is the verbose output:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [e0] 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Thanks for any help!

And is your Arduino on COM3? Do you provide loopback test? Try another USB cable? ...

This was the first reply I found after search of PL-2303 USB adapter.
Did a bit more searching and found you have to swap the RX and TX leads,hit upload then press re-set button as soon as you see the compiled sketch size (I think you have 5 seconds?)
I pressed a couple of times and got things uploaded
BTW, my adapter was on COM 6

And is your Arduino on COM3? Do you provide loopback test? Try another USB cable? ...

Yes. Yes and it goes well. Yes, I tried three different cables

Did a bit more searching and found you have to swap the RX and TX leads,hit upload then press re-set button as soon as you see the compiled sketch size (I think you have 5 seconds?) I pressed a couple of times and got things uploaded BTW, my adapter was on COM 6

It doesn't work. I tried more than 5 times. It just change the code error from 0xe0 to 0x00 I can't put Arduino on COM6 because it is already on use.

However if I open the serial monitor it sends me some character at a periodic interval:

s????????,???,?????? ëÞ HÌs?

This is strange. And what about trying to change the port to COM20 in Device Manager, for example? The port COM20 certainly not occupied by anything (I hope).

This is strange. And what about trying to change the port to COM20 in Device Manager, for example? The port COM20 certainly not occupied by anything (I hope).

I tried ports from COM15 to COM20, nothing seems to change.

If you are using another shield like Ethernet/Wifi try disconnect that shield. Then upload it using sdk. Then re-attach the shield. It solves my gtk error :slight_smile:

If you are using another shield like Ethernet/Wifi try disconnect that shield. Then upload it using sdk. Then re-attach the shield. It solves my gtk error

Thanks but I just bought the kit. There are no shields or cables attached except the USB cable ;)