Uploading a sketch to Pro mini without bootloader.

How does one upload a sketch to a Pro Mini (without the bootloader) using another arduino?

I have a UNO, and when hooked up to a pro mini like this, (I know, it`s not a mini in the diagram) I can burn a bootloader without a problem.

I can upload a sketch with a UNO (328 removed) when it is hooked up to the pro mini like this (last picture at bottoom of page).

The problem is I want to upload a sketch without the bootloader to utilize all the RAM. I uploaded the ISP sketch to the UNO, in the preferences.txt I set uploading.using=Arduino as ISP, disabled auto reset with a capacitor, and made sure to select the pro mini board from the list. No luck. When I try and upload the Blink, I get this error message:

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(AvrdudeUploader.java:106)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

hmm...

according to this http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer, you need to change that option to a programmer that is defined in the programmer.txt file in your case upload.using=arduinoisp
also the parameter its upload.using and not uploading.using :slight_smile:

hope this helps
putyn

It works now. Many thanks!

(oh, and the uploading.using was just a typo. XD)