Uploading code VS Serial Monitor runnig in same time

Hi All

seems it is not possible to upload new sketch to boards like UNO or/and NANO while serial monitor is running - it can understand this - probably same port is used for both upload and monitoring but as both programs runs on same PC is it not possible to use some kind of semaphor for Serial Monitor to stop for a moment of uploading and resume as soon sempahore is back down (seems Widnows have such interprocess mechanizm, seems not only Windows but Unix (so Mac and Linux can use same thing too, mayb not exacly same but similar :slight_smile: )

I allows quickly check resluts, fix something and restart checking. Now I need close down Serial Monitor, await few seconds, upload and then re-start Serial Monitor.

Using such semaphore like train semaphore can tell Serial Monitor to deatch common serial port thus allowing upload of new version of sketch and quickly resume checking. for such hot-blood learners of Ardunino this can be great relief

as maybe only I have this problem: Things that can influence: Lenovo T430s, windows 7prof eng, Avast antivirus and Avast firewall latest updates and versions.

Many Thanks
Jakub

seems it is not possible to upload new sketch to boards like UNO or/and NANO while serial monitor is running

Of course not. There is only one serial port. If it is being used to upload code, it can't be used to send data to the PC at the same time.

The "issue" you identify has been fixed in newer versions of the IDE.