Uploading issue with an Arduino Pro Mini

Hello,

I have 2 Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5v/16Hz. I’m having an uploading issue with one of them. The one I can’t get my sketch to upload to it. Because I have 2, and it works for the one, this makes me think its the arduino, and not my PC or cable. This is what I’m using:

Windows XP
Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5v/16Hz
Sparkfun FTDI basic breakout board
Have the latest driver
Have the latest version of the arduino software

Here’s the “arduino is not communicating” error code I got:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I did notice something strange with the non working arduino. When I first plug in the FTDI board and its powering the arduino, the arduino cycles like the other one that works, but once its done with its boot-up, the pin 13 LED flashes at a staggered rate, starting fast and ending extremely fast with the LED becoming progressively brighter until it stops, after about 3 seconds. This flashing pattern also happens after I hit the reset button on the arduino as well.

Any guesses as to what could be wrong?

Thank you!

No one has ever had this problem? Does the blinking of the pin 13 LED have any significants? Is there any reference material as to what how its blinking could mean?

Sounds like a blown bootloader program or a bad AVR chip. Lots of info on what it takes and how to reload a bootloader around here and on the Arduino site.

Lefty

Did you see the post by Addict describing the same thing? The light sequence you descibe seems to indicate the board is programmed as as Duemilanove 328 and not a minipro. Try changing the board type in arduino -0018. I just ordered 2 mini's wonder if same will happen to me.

Robert

I ended up contacting sparkfun (where I got the pro mini from) and they had me send it back. So I had to drop another $1.40 in shipping but they should be fixing it for me.

I'm having the same problems, I've installed the latest drivers, checked port and rate and still nothing. I've tired the port test and have got the TX led to blink but not the Rx so this tells me that it must be a comm port issue, right?

Any info would help. Thanks