Uploading .jpg images fails

Today when making a new post I wanted to upload an image. The image was in jpg format and I was getting an error as follows:

Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

The file is well uner 1Mb so well under the 2Mb limit. It turns out that this was because the image was in .jpg format? When I converted it to .png it uploaded just fine. Attempting to upload and .jpg image results in the above error.

The image was approximately 350kb in size so well below the 2Mb limit. Files in .jpg format do appear to be permitted attachment types. I tried the same file again but with the same result. I then tried other .jpg files, but the upload failed each time with the same result. I then discovered that I could upload .png files, so I changed the format of the image I wanted to upload to .png, and found that this was accepted and uploaded just fine. The failure of the site to accept .jpg files along with the reference to “security checks” would seem to suggest that attachments of type.jpg are being blocked? Are they no longer permitted?

The likely problem is that the image includes EXIF data from a camera or phone. See the Simple Image Posting Guide near the top of this section of the Forum

...R

My images were cropped versions of the originals, but having checked, I see that GIMP has preserved the EXIF data from the original in the cropped versions of the .jpg files. I guess as the Simple Image Posting Guide says, the easiest approach is to save as .png. Thanks.

BitSeeker: My images were cropped versions of the originals, but having checked, I see that GIMP has preserved the EXIF data from the original in the cropped versions of the .jpg files.

As far as I know GIMP won't keep the EXIF data if you copy and paste the cropped section as a new image and then export the new image as a JPG

...R