Uploading problem

My arduino was running a normal small dc motor at 5v, without any kind of resistance, just from 5vpin to gnd. It worked fine before that. The next day i wanted to upload a program to it, and got the

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

It seems to be a pretty typical problem, but after six hours of research, i still haven't figured out any fix. I've got a feeling that i might have blown the ATmega 328 chip, as i had one wire to the motor, and the other one jumped out of the 5v pin, and touched some other components, the motor turned on when it hit the legs of them, but it was very shortly. The motor can still run through the 5v pin.

There's no physical visible errors, checked the board all around.

There's no problem with the software, and i haven't done the board selection error, and i've tried both ubuntu and windows. And another computer (i run ubuntu as standard).

When i upload the rx led blinks a bit, then tx a bit, then it gives up. Nothing happens when i hit the reset button, so i can't try out the reset before uploading "trick".

Thanks in advance...

My arduino was running a normal small dc motor at 5v, without any kind of resistance, just from 5vpin to gnd.

Do you mean there was no arduino control. You can't run an arduino off a motor anyway you need a transistor. Was there a diode across the motor to prevent damage from back EMF?

the motor turned on when it hit the legs of them, but it was very shortly

The motor won't get damaged it is the rest of the circuit.

I've got a feeling that i might have blown the ATmega 328 chip

If you computer is seeing the serial bridge then I get that feeling as well.

1/No, i didn't have a diode on it

2/I know, that's also what I'm afraid it has done

3/Oh damn, can i get away with just replacing the atmega chip, or do i need a whole new arduino in case?

can i get away with just replacing the atmega chip,

Yes probbly :slight_smile: