Uploading problems

Recently got an Arduino diecimila, and have been having problems uploading sketches.

Intermittent at first, and pretty much constant now. Have not been able to upload in a few dozen attempts at this point.

Running arduino 0009, Windows Vista (sigh) on the laptop.

This happens when anything or nothing is connected to the arduino board (exept USB).

Have tried multiple variations. Plugging unplugging USB, reset button. Close/reopen arduino app. Reboot.

At this point, I get a few blinks out of the Rx led, nothing from the Tx led, then nothing.

After 30 sec or so, I get the following error in the arduino app:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

In the cases where an upload is successful, I get rapid blinking out of both Tx and Rx leds on the board.

It will complain that:
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06

when successful (just was finally), but will go ahead and run anyway. Seems to work OK when the upload goes through.

all of the above is true on both custom and sample sketches such as Blink.

have tried setting the upload speed in preferences file to 9600, with no apparent change.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hmm, are you using the Vista version of the software? You might try downloading the other Windows version and copying its avrdude.exe (from tools/avr/bin) into the Vista version.

Is there an ATmega168 on your board? Did you select ATmega168 from the Tools > Microcontroller menu?