uploading problems

Hi my Diecimila stopped working today and I think i might have fried it…

its giving me the error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

which apparently doesnt help too much…
Ive had the software and uploading working before but i think i might have plugged a 9v+ into the 3V3 pin by accident and hasnt uploaded successfully since.

Another thing ive noticed is I tried to look at the port settings in windows and it doesnt even show the ports in the devise manager…

When i try to upload it gives me that error and also has the D13 light on steady and pressing the reset button doesnt change anything

running:
Windows Xp
arduino-0010
Arduino Diecimila

any help would be appreciated
-Matt

Hmm, yep, it sounds like you fried the FTDI chip (that does USB to serial translation) at least. It's the SMD chip that's soldered on the board, so you might need a new Diecimila, unless someone else has a good repair idea.

hmm i am having similar problems, the L LED on the chip just keeps blinking when i try and upload anything and i keep getting this error

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

i may have fried it using a switch, but still shouldn't that only mess up that pin?

what do the resp=0x00 and expect=0x14 mean?

guess im gonna order a new one...

curious... which is the best way to hook up 9v to it... obviously made the wrong choice last time im wanting to make a variable rate LED strobe light... but the standard 5V is way too weak for the lights

is hooking up the pos of the 9v to the 5v pin a bad idea... should i use the vin instead?

swat22: does the board still show up as a USB device when you plug it in? What operating system are you on? Have you tried the troubleshooting tips?