Uploading StandardFirmataWifi to an Arduino clone with ESP8266

Hey,
I'm having trouble uploading the wifi formata to my arduino clone board. I have the following connections between the board and the ESP8266:

VCC - 3.3V
GND - GND
URXD - TX
UTXD - RX

I have the "Generic ESP8266 Module" selected as my board.
When uploading the firmata, it's trying to connect, I see a blue LED blinking on the ESP8266, however it gets timed out with the following error:

esptool.py v2.8
Serial port COM7
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.7.2/tools/upload.py", line 65, in <module>
    esptool.main(cmdline)
  File "C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 2890, in main
    esp.connect(args.before)
  File "C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.7.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 483, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

What should I done to successfully upload the firmata? Thanks

If you use Uno's USB chip as an USB-to-TTL-Serial adapter, then you have to wire RX to RX and TX to TX (because the labeling matches the ATmega328 pins and the USB chip is wired to them RX to TX)

Juraj:
If you use Uno's USB chip as an USB-to-TTL-Serial adapter, then you have to wire RX to RX and TX to TX (because the labeling matches the ATmega328 pins and the USB chip is wired to them RX to TX)

If I switch the RX and TX wires, the blue led is not blinking anymore and I still get the same error message.

is the esp8266 in bootloader mode?

Juraj:
is the esp8266 in bootloader mode?

I did indeed try to ground GPIO0 pin and reset the board, but without success.

can you take a photo on how did you connect things together?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.