Uploading to Arduino Mega via Serial1, Serial2 & Serial3

Hello everybody!

In a current project of mine I use an Arduino Mega 2560 and plan on attaching a bluetooth module to it so I can read serial data from it and hopefully also upload sketches to it without always having to plug in a usb-cable.

Now, my question is whether I have to use the standard serial port on the Arduino or if I can use the other serial ports that are available on an arduino mega for uploading my sketches.

I loked for an answer for about an hour now but sadly couldn't find it yet (maybe I was looking in the totally wrong direction all the time), all I found were general information on the serial ports and uploading sketches to an arduino but nothing specific.

Thanks in advance for any answers or links concerning this topic!

As I understand it, you'd need a bootloader that looked at a different serial port. I see no reason to suspect that the standard bootloader supports using different serial ports (brief searches turned up nothing relating to this topic - same as you noted).

There's also the issue that uploading to the board requires a way to trigger the reset, which means either a bluetooth serial adapter that gives you a DTR pin, or something more complicated.

Yeah, I didn't really expect that it would be possible - I just hoped that the Mega bootloader checked all the different serial ports for possible uploads.

DrAzzy:
There's also the issue that uploading to the board requires a way to trigger the reset, which means either a bluetooth serial adapter that gives you a DTR pin, or something more complicated.

I didn't even think of that - but now that you point it out, it seems quite logical. As I don't want to do anything too complicated (don't have the time :wink: ) I guess I'll just upload the sketches with a usb cable and then use the bluetooth module for any other communication...

Anyways, thanks for your answer!