Uploading to STK500 via USB serial

Well, AVR Studio 4 uploads to an ATmega8 on the STK-500 board just fine. I have a USB-to-serial connection on COM 6 under Windows. I used Studio to put the bootloader on it. Then I found a sample .hex file an uploaded that and it runs. BUT…arduino 11 won’t upload. It says:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Also, when I edit and then BUILD a sketch, I see the .pde, but where is the .hex file. If I could find it, I’d upload it using Studio.

Thanks for any help! This is new to me.

I’m having a similar problem. Using an RBBB and arduino11 I uploaded blink just fine, but anything I try to upload after is giving me the error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any clues would be much appreicated.

My problem was solved by a question on the Modern Devices forum:

Q: I'm using Windows and I can seem to download once, but only once, using the FTDI cable. A: Change this serial port setting: Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close

A: Change this serial port setting: Device Manager -> Com Ports -> USB Serial Port -> Port Settings -> Advanced button -> Set RTS On Close

[/quote]

That sounds promising, but on Vista Device Manager-> . . . ->Advanced doesn't ofer that option. (Maybe Vista is only slightly advanced.) I tried using Hardware protocol, but got exactly the same error message, so i reset that. Still stumped.