Uploading Troubles

Hello,

I just downloaded the Arduino software to my computer, as I have been using a computer at school up to this point on my project. I have a program that compiles, and I attached my Freeduino (which I specified as the Arduino Duemilanove or Nano with ATMega 328 in the board tab) to the USB port of my computer. I click the upload and received the following error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I am fairly inexperienced with the software, and was wondering if anyone knows what that error means. Is it because I am trying to use the COMP1 port? I have held the reset button down but that doesn't seem to yield more port options. Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks.

Start the IDE without the Arduino plugged in. See what COM ports are listed in the Serial port menu.

Plug the Arduino in. There should be a beep as the Arduino is recognized (on Windows, at least).

Check the serial port list again. The new port is the one that the Arduino is attached to.

Thank you so much for the response. I did as you said; before the Arduino was plugged in, the only port available was COM1. I plugged the Arduino in, and no other ports appeared. The Arduino was recognized but did not elicit any more ports. Thanks again for your help, please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Sounds like the FTDI drivers are not installed. Check out the troubleshooting section for how to manually install them. http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting

Hello, I have been using the Arduino for some time without problems. Just recently, I was working with it and the USB serial stopped working and i have not been able to get it to connect again. i'v tried a number of computers, and they do not recognise that i have plugged the arduino into the USB. (they used to, before.) I was using an hbridge motor controler which was supplied by external source but logic control came from arduino. I did connect the grounds together. Any idea as to why it stopped connecting to PC and how to fix it?

One more thing when i do plug in the USB, the power light on the arduino comes on, and so does the light labeled L, on pin 13, which i think is the LED mentioned i the specs section. The led (labelled L) does not turn off (except while i hold down the reset button. releasing the reset turns it on again.)

The FTDI chip on the Arduino is what the PC communicates with to determine if the device is a valid UDB device, and, if so, what kind of UDB device it is.

It appears, from your description, that the FTDI chip is toast.

I Am using the arduino duemilanove board. with the atmega328.
The number on the FTDI chip is 0845B FT232RL
But other than that i do not know what type of UBD it is.

How could the FTDI chip be damaged unless from over current.
Is there a way i can test this to determine whether it is the FTDI and not the atmega?

and from my description, is there some thing that may have cause the over current? like connecting the gnd’s or short circuit?

I guess i need a new board if the FTDI is toast.

Is there a way i can test this to determine whether it is the FTDI and not the atmega?

Yes there is. Search this site for "loop back test" and you will find a method. The only pin that over current could effect the FTDI chip is the 3.3v pin. The limit is 50ma max.

Lefty

I had a look at the loop back test, but the problem is, the com port to which the ardino is connected does not appear in the serial emulator. Do i have to force windows to send a message on that particular com port?

I had a look at the loop back test, but the problem is, the com port to which the ardino is connected does not appear in the serial emulator. Do i have to force windows to send a message on that particular com port?

Does windows sound a bing and hardware found message when you first plug the Arduino into the PC? If not there is a serious FTDI chip problem or the board is not getting power from the USB connection. Does the board's power LED light up when you plug in the USB cable?

You can try either another USB cable or try to power the board from the external power connector with 9-12vdc.

Back to basics, I guess it should be mentioned that you must follow all the Arduino IDE installation instructions which includes installing the FTDI USB driver software, that doesn't happen automatically. That will create a new PC USB serial port, which is the one you must select after you open the Arduino IDE.

Lefty

pay attention, there are 2 driver from ftdi... you have to use the VCP ones... here the link http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Hmm...I will check out these drivers to make sure, but the arduino connecting without any problems before the incident, so i did not worry about drivers. I will check them out anyway and make sure.