Urgent - Can't Upload

Hi guys,

I need to finish my project today.

However since this morning, I can´t upload new sketches to my Arduino Mega 2560.
Until yesterday evening everything worked fine and nothing has been changed at the systems configuration (the computer was shut down overnight)

• Previous uploaded sketch still works
  • Serial communication works (shows data of previous sketch)
  • rebooted both systems multiple times and changed usb cable
  • Arduino hardware is latest rev
  • RX / TX / L LEDs are flashing
  • Win7 via Bootcamp on MacBook (also tested on OS X 10.10.5 with same result)
  • IDE v 1.6.5
  • See full upload protocol attached
  • The correct board has been selected (and temporarily changed)
  • Process has been selected correctly
  • Port displayed is COM4 (only option)
  • Serial port COM4 is also shown in device manager
  • Problem regardless of sketch used for upload
  • Pressing reset button doesn't improve the situation

Any ideas how to solve the problem are highly appreciated!
Thanks!!

PS I already read through several posts with similar problems (e.g. Upload Timeout Error on Mega 2560 - Not Sure What Changed - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum) but unfortunately, none of these provided a solution for this particular problem...

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : wiring
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

edit: problem solved - as unexplained as it appeared...

Meldungen.txt (21 KB)

close your computer and restart all apps.
And remove all wires and reconnect them.

sometimes the universe (even small ones) has to reboot :wink:

1 Like

I had this problem yesterday and googled a lot for it. There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

I haven't figured out exactly the role of the serial tx0, rx0 for the upload, but...just pull out your wires from the pins for Serial 0 (Tx0 and Rx0), then try do the upload. Did the magic for me.

I plan to use the SoftwareSerial lib in the future. Just because it seems the serial Tx0, Rx0 have some bearing on the upploading.

Typical hardware voodoo.

etxmsol:
I had this problem yesterday and googled a lot for it. There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

I haven't figured out exactly the role of the serial tx0, rx0 for the upload, but...just pull out your wires from the pins for Serial 0 (Tx0 and Rx0), then try do the upload. Did the magic for me.

I plan to use the SoftwareSerial lib in the future. Just because it seems the serial Tx0, Rx0 have some bearing on the upploading.

TX and RX of UART 0 (Serial) are used for uploading sketches - when you start uploading a sketch, the DTR output of the serial adapter goes low, is capacitively coupled to RST pin of arduino, generating a low pulse on RST to reset the board, so the bootloader runs, and listens on Serial 0 for an upload. If you have other stuff chatting on that serial line, that will keep this from working.

You can use Serial1, Serial2, or Serial3 if using a Mega (the due also has multiple serials as well, I think, and boards based on the 1284p, 841, or 1634 (to name a few) have two: Serial and Serial1) - the Mega has 4 hardware serials, and hardware serial is way the hell better than software serial.