US Space Force launched by Donald Trump

I see that Trump has found a new way to transfer the odd $50bn or $60bn to his friends and supporters from the hapless American tax payer.

Americans complain bitterly about paying tax - how come they put up with this stuff?

...R

Perhaps the Space Force will move the White House and the occupants to the Ceres asteroid.

The united states had a space force before... russia and china are developing there own space forces so, to me, this is a necessary response.

larryd:
Perhaps the Space Force will move the White House and the occupants to the Ceres asteroid.

That diagram is a bit misleading.
Mercury is actually the closest planet to Earth.

“Mercury is actually the closest planet to Earth.“

??? in what universe?

Technically, if Venus is on the opposite side of its orbit, Mercury is the closest. :wink: …and it is for longer time as time for which is Venus the closest.
Anyway, the diagram is correct!

This is it, what @ardly probably meant:

Budvar10:
Technically, if Venus is on the opposite side of its orbit, Mercury is the closest. :wink: ...and it is for longer time as time for which is Venus the closest.

Mercury is the closest planet to all seven other planets - YouTube

Yes, you got it. What is a bit mind blowing is that on average Mercury is the closest planet to every other planet in the Solar system.

Budvar10:
Technically, if Venus is on the opposite side of its orbit, Mercury is the closest. :wink: ...and it is for longer time as time for which is Venus the closest.

Mercury is the closest planet to all seven other planets - YouTube

It was a very good QI program question.

It was one of CGP Grey's excellent videos that allerted to me fact that like many things in school "the line is a lie". The diagram is correct in ordering the orbits of the planets however, as I said, it can mislead because really Mercury is closer to Earth than Venus most of the time.

My terrestial navigation is abysmal but by astro-navigation is even worse. Naively I had assumed that if you wanted to get to the Sun as fast as possible all you needed to do was blast off from the Earth and, unless you were very clever, the Sun would suck you in. As it turns out "hitting" the Sun is not that easy to do as the trajectory of the Parker Solar Probe shows.

Robin2:

I see that Trump has found a new way to transfer the odd $50bn or $60bn to his friends and supporters from the hapless American tax payer.

Americans complain bitterly about paying tax - how come they put up with this stuff?

...R

Wherever you live, half the population will have an IQ 100 or LESS.
If you're greedy, your IQ goes to half the second you think there's easy money to be had.
If you have an ego problem then being an asshole supporting other assholes is naturally gratifying.

And then there's the rest of us with a few percent at most of the nation's wealth in a country where money==politics. We even have a law that corporations are people when it comes to campaign money except the corporations don't seem to have the limits that individuals do.

It's going to be something seeing just how the next election gets rigged, same as last time or something new?

ardly:
It was one of CGP Grey's excellent videos that allerted to me fact that like many things in school "the line is a lie".

The book fair book I got on the solar system in 2nd grade explained that planets could be anywhere along their orbits, the farther out they are the slower they move. The book explained orbits. The orbit of Venus is closer to the orbit of Earth than is the orbit of Mars.

That's my from the book experience. Crap that teachers might say, I heard plenty of that and checked the interesting ones.

The thing about school is that some subjects are too big or difficult to describe simply or quickly so we get what Terry Pratchett describes as "Lies to Children". They're necessary shortcuts a lot of the time and not everyone learns better.

My book fair book did not show me orbital precessions... damn them!