USB 3.0 serial communication with Arduino Mega

Hi, I am trying to driver a stepper motor using an Arduino Mega 2560. There will ideally be two RS232 signals being read into / written from the Arduino, each using male USB 3.0 connectors; one of these is for configuring and controlling the driver of the motor and the other is simply getting an output torque measurement from a torque meter connected to the motor's shaft. I am simply wondering if Arduino would be able to handle these two functions, and how I might go about connecting each of the two streams of data. I have looked into this question through Arduino documentation, tutorials, and forums for hours, and finally figured I would contribute to the posts on my own.

Thank you! - a confused college student

Jackalakalaka:
There will ideally be two RS232 signals being read into / written from the Arduino, each using male USB 3.0 connectors;

This is indeed confusing.

RS232 is quite separate from USB in any of its guises. USB is a high speed serial system working at 400MHz and above.

An Arduino Mega has one USB connection. AFAIK it uses USB2 and also AFAIK most USB3 connections are backwards compatible with USB2.

We are accustomed to thinking of a PC program (such as the Arduino Serial Monitor) sending serial data to an Arduino. In fact this just a pretence and the PC sends USB data which is converted into TTL serial data (not RS232) on the Mega (or Uno).

RS232 serial uses different voltages from the TTL serial that is used on an Arduino. If you need to connect a genuine RS232 port to an Arduino you need to use a conveter such as a MAX232. RS232 voltages may damage an Arduino.

Having read all that please now tell us exactly what will be sending data to the Arduino, and what data those things will be sending. It is probably a lot more simple than you think.

…R
Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code