USB-A to Arduino Micro attached to female headers?

I'm building a board with female headers to accept a arduino Micro. But instead of using a micro usb cable to interface with the computer/ide, I would like to use a USB-A connector (like to ones found on a usb key) So that I can plug my shield (im bulding) directly into the computer... can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this as an extension of the board im building and not "hacking" the arduino.

I basically want to have my project board plugged into the computer via the USB-A connector and freely plug/unplug the arduino micro from the female headers on the board.

THanks for your time!

What does that board? USB-A are host connectors, the slaves use one of the B connector types. If your board isn't an USB hub or the like you probably cannot do what you plan to do. But you may have to draw an overview of your plans.

pylon:
What does that board? USB-A are host connectors, the slaves use one of the B connector types. If your board isn't an USB hub or the like you probably cannot do what you plan to do. But you may have to draw an overview of your plans.

Whats a host connector? I would like to plug my board into my computer like a usb drive... what is that connection called? What do i need to do to get this to work?

In Arduinos.. (Uno for example)..

the USB connection goes to an FTDI chip.. (to do the conversion for you)..

on other Arduino's (like the Leonardo for example).. they DO NOT have/need this FTDI 3rd party chip.. as the functionality is built into the MAIN chip for the board..

I guess I would start there....

Im not familiar with the MICRO? maybe you can just extend its pins? and use them when plugged into the shield?

I was looking on youtube...can i just set it up using the tx rx pins like the FTDI....

THanks for the response...

Whats a host connector? I would like to plug my board into my computer like a usb drive... what is that connection called? What do i need to do to get this to work?

The USB system has different connectors for the host side (your PC is typically a host, a master or how you like to call it), while the slave side (as a hard drive, USB stick and also your scanner is) uses a different connector so that the two do not interfere and you don't connect a PC to another PC (which would probably damage at least one of them).

You can connect your Micro to your PC and you might also be able to program the ATmega32U4 to fulfill the USB storage profile but I still don't see what the purpose of this system should be.

You also still haven't described what that custom board you want to build should do. You cannot expect help if you don't want to disclose your plans. Tell us what you want to achieve or be on your own with the problem.

Im looking at it as more of a 'DOCK' (base) for him to easily connect his Micro to the computer without a header..etc

is this not the case?

Basically im building a board that has indicator LEDs and a rf24 the Micro will sit on the board with a female header and read serial information to the rf24. I want the simplicity of plugging it in as a unit to the pc not via a usb cable.

thanks

xl97:
Im looking at it as more of a 'DOCK' (base) for him to easily connect his Micro to the computer without a header..etc

is this not the case?

yes! thank you!

That means that board does nothing else than a standard USB cable does? Kind of unflexible USB cable?

yes. think "USB Drive" and how that interfaces with the pc.

I dont know much about the micro.. (no FTDI dedicated chip...correct?)

I would think its as easy as extending those I/O pins form the micro out to a HEADER on the DOCK station..

the dock station needs traces from this 'micro header'.. to a USB port that connects dock to PC..

yes. think "USB Drive" and how that interfaces with the pc.

"USB Drive" (probably better USB stick) as a form factor not as functionality example? So all you want is basically an extremely short USB cable without a cable but two connectors glued together?

hmm…

I understand what you are going for… but Im not sure how this will work with a Micro…

the Micro uses a ATmega32u4 chip… where as older Arduinos used a ATmega328P-XU… later boards required a dedicated FTDI conversion chip…

Using an FTDI breakout cable allowed you to do the same when a dedicated FTDI chip wasnt available/used…

the newer ATmega32u4 chips has that functionality built in… and Im not 100% sure its on the same RX/TX pins? but perhaps dedicated pins on the chip… that are now broken out, but only to the micro USB connector… and now as I/O along the board edges for user use?

In this quick diagram… if you instead replaced those 4 pin headers… with a MALE micro-B USB connector for the board -AND- a regular male USB connector (for the pc end)…

USB_dockDemo.jpg

xl97:
hmm..

I understand what you are going for... but Im not sure how this will work with a Micro..

the Micro uses a ATmega32u4 chip.. where as older Arduinos used a ATmega328P-XU.. later boards required a dedicated FTDI conversion chip...

Using an FTDI breakout cable allowed you to do the same when a dedicated FTDI chip wasnt available/used..

the newer ATmega32u4 chips has that functionality built in... and Im not 100% sure its on the same RX/TX pins? but perhaps dedicated pins on the chip.. that are now broken out, but only to the micro USB connector.... and now as I/O along the board edges for user use?

In this quick diagram.. if you instead replaced those 4 pin headers.. with a MALE micro-B USB connector for the board -AND- a regular male USB connector (for the pc end)..

Thats what i was going for!!!!!! but youre not sure if its possible?

In this quick diagram.. if you instead replaced those 4 pin headers.. with a MALE micro-B USB connector for the board -AND- a regular male USB connector (for the pc end)..

Do you know what the male regular USB connector is called in EagleCAD? "USB-A"?

what part?

no, I am not 100% sure how the ATmega32u4 chips works/handles the built in USB..

I thought it had dedicated pins for this..? going to the USB only.. and NOT broken out along side the board edges as I/O's..

Look for DIY USB on ebay. You should be able to find just about any USB plug with either wires broken out or solder pads. You just need to know exactly what type of plug that you want (mini, micro, standard, A/B, etc.) on each side.

Or possibly this is what you want, USB micro B male on one side to connect to the Arduino Micro, and USB standard A male to connect directly to the computer without a cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-A-to-Micro-B-Standard-Mini-Data-Cable-Adapter-Male-Male-Black-/360660652301?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f90cd10d

(see attached)

THis is what im looking for…I just need to know how to attach it to the micro (ie what pins)

Molex-480371000.gif

have you even verified those pins ARE broken out on the board?

or do they ONLY go to the USB connector already on the Micro?

if the later… you’ll need ‘2’ connectors

one for Micro to DOCK board…
one for DOCK board to PC