USB board - can't export on a high COM port number

One little note if you aren't able to export and your USB board is trying to use a high COM port number: try changing the FTDI chip's COM port assignment to a lower one.

I had a bunch of virtual COM ports set up for Bluetooth so the board was set to use COM17. The IDE wasn't able to find the board so I deleted the other virtual ports in Control Panel (on XP) and moved the FTDI's assignment down to COM2. Make sure to set Arduino to use the new port and good luck.

Thanks for the info; I added it to the FAQ. I suspect this is a problem with the serial library we're using (RXTX). It should be fixed someday, but in the meantime your suggestion is probably the best workaround.

when i try to download a sketch i get an error message: "internal error: segmentation fault (program ccl)". i have a usb board my os is xp. i set the baud rate at 19200 with the tool menu and with the pc control panel. i cannot get to the preferences mentioned in the faq because the path shown in the file menu "preferences" doesn't exist, it mentions an "application data" folder that i do not have! anyway it is said somewhere that now with the new version of the board (mine is brand new) the bootloader is by default set at 19200. when i press the reset button the pwr led blinks once. the port on which i have the ftdi driver id com4 that's not too high a number i think. so do you have any idea of what is my problem? thanks for your help!

Woah, that's a new one. It sounds as if the part of the C compiler is crashing, so it doesn't have anything to do with the baud rates or com port.

Do you have cygwin installed on your computer? Try a search for cygwin*.dll. What else is running at the same time as Arduino?

yes i have cygwin1.dll installed in the same folder as arduino. should i put in windows?