USB-C

Hi!

I was wondering if i would be able to use a USB-C connector on a custom arduino PCB to send control signals and data signals? I understadn that it has 24 pins and since its reversible only 12 can be used as individual pins (Excluding VCC and GND).

any advice?

Nothing to stop you using the connectors for other purposes like this.

If you're expecting to use off-the-shelf cables, I'd be worrying a lot that USB cables have reached the same stage that frustrated so many people with RS232 - it's getting difficult to know which cables implement which connections (and how many wires...) (That was one of the reason they invented USB. And now they've gone an blown it. :frowning: )

There is always a chance that you connect something else to it that might blow up your Arduino.

I had a friend at high school who decided to replace the 6.3 mm plug of his headphones with a 220V power plug as it was more convenient. One day he accidentally put it indeed in the wall outlet :smiley:

sterretje:
I had a friend at high school who decided to replace the 6.3 mm plug of his headphones with a 220V power plug as it was more convenient. One day he accidentally put it indeed in the wall outlet :smiley:

Well, I guess that would enable you to have everything louder than everything else…

PerryBebbington:
Well, I guess that would enable you to have everything louder than everything else...

Eh?

Paul__B:
Eh?

Some people will understand the reference, other's won't...

After that blunder, it might be necessary to speak louder! :grinning:

PerryBebbington:
louder than everything else…

everyone else?

PaulRB:
everyone else?

No, everything else.

Ah! Meatloaf, not Motörhead!

PaulRB:
Ah! Meatloaf, not Motörhead!

Neither, well, not to my knowledge anyway.

Erm.... Deep Purple?

++Karma; // Deep Purple, although I think you might be guessing.

Googling, not guessing!

The Motörhead live album is named after the line from "Mule" apparently. Suspect the same for the Meatloaf song but can't find a reference for that.

Interesting stuff: "Mule" was inspired by the enigmatic character from Foundation & Empire by Asimov. I hear there are plans to make a movie, or a series on one of the streaming services, which is where the big money is these days.

I never really liked Motörhead, so didn't know that. A film of the Foundation and Empire books would be awesome!

hahahaha bit off topic guys

So for example, some of the pins have been allocated to 'vcc' on the usb-c pinout. Is it required that i use that pin for vcc or can i have it as a data pin?

Yes, you can use the Vcc pin as a signal pin. The cable does not care.

It's your dedicated board, you know what you need.

Isaac258:
hahahaha bit off topic guys

Indeed! Have some karma by way of apology :slight_smile: