USB Communication with ATMEGA2560

I'm working on a new project that requires communication from Windows via a C# program to the ATMEGA2560. I have found and reviewed guides online, but, they assumed I was using the actual Arduino Mega 2560 development board. I already know what to do from the programming/C# side of things, not the selection of how to create the USB to serial communication. This would not be on the development board but rather it's own board which means I don't already have a USB communication chip. From my research, I assume that I need a FTDI chip?

Basically, I need help on what hardware component(s) do I need that would be the simplest and best solution to this project.

I would like to connect the ATMEGA2560 via USB internal header pins on a computers motherboard to allow USB to serial communication with the ATMEGA2560. What chip would suit me best for this application?

[UPDATE]

After some more research, it looks like the FT232RL chip would be perfect for me? I noticed SparkFun sells a breakout board for it, I assume I can follow their schematic (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/DevTools/Arduino/FTDI%20Basic-v21-5V.pdf) and integrate it directly into my project instead of using a breakout board?