USB FDD Control

Hello,

just for the fun of it, I'm going to have a go at the old "musical floppy drives" project - I've asked my IT dept for some old drives and they've given me a box of USB ones. I can't find any info anywhere on driving USB FDDs from the Arduino - can anybody tell me if its possible or point me in the direction of a tutorial? I don't really want to go writing some sort of USB driver to get this working, so if it's particularly difficult, I'll just hunt around for some 34-wire FDDs instead...

Thanks for your help :)

It is not possible to talk to a USB client device without a USB host shield on your Arduino.

Your best bet would to take the drive apart and wire the Arduino outputs direct to the bits you want to control.

Thanks for your help - I thought this would probably be the case...

I doubt the internals of a USB FDD bear much resemblance to a standard one, so it's back to the parts bin for a rummage...

I doubt the internals of a USB FDD bear much resemblance to a standard one,

Why not, there will be a processor on the USB board and it has to provide the same signals to control the mechanics.

I'm assuming these are 2.5" drives? I've can't ever recall hearing one loud enough to consider trying this. The 5.25" on the other hand.....

3.5" floppys are definitely loud enough to sing.

I'll betcha if you crack open one of those drives, you'll find that it's a normal (non-usb) one and a bridge.

DrAzzy: 3.5" floppys are definitely loud enough to sing.

I'll betcha if you crack open one of those drives, you'll find that it's a normal (non-usb) one and a bridge.

This.

Just unplug the stepper from the control board and wire it to a double h-bridge and control it with the stepper library.