USB HID Joystick

Hello everyone!

I want to make a USB HID Joystick with 52 buttons and 16 axis.
I m COMPLETELY new to this and i need some guidance to start figuring out!

I have arduino mega 2560.

what software do i have to use ?
how can i create the correct .hex file for the bootloader to work as USB HID?

any help, tips, guide is accepted!

thanks!

52 buttons and 16 axis. Thats gonna be pretty intense man. (heck i have a steel battalion controller that i wired to arduino, and thats only got like 9 axes, and like 40 buttons) Though that didnt get plugged into a PC.

A far as getting your joystick and button readings, those are pretty straightforward

Might be a bit helpful if you haven't played with a joystick yet.

http://code.google.com/p/unojoy/wiki/GettingStarted
These guys have made a library that will let an arduino act as a USB controller to plug into a PC. I haven't messed with it (though it looks like I'm going to this weekend) and will probably be about what your looking for. As far as having all those switches is concerned. You might wanna start with maybe 2 axis, and like 6 buttons. Then add more as you get them all working, and make sure they work on your computer.

Edit: Now that i look at their page a bt more and how they get the program to work. i think it might not work on a mega since they're redoing some of the code in the bootloader with the intent of it being on an uno. Though depending on what your doing. You might not need more then an uno, if you get creative.

Nikarus..

Before post this topic i found a looot of stuff for HID joystick but then i realised that i dont know basic things.

I already tried the UnoJoy project, (13 buttons 2 axis) and it worked for me but ONLY for the FIRST time that i connect duino in a USB port,then stopped working! i tried another port, it worked and then stop again! dont know why!
i also found a guide to extend Unojoy to 30 buttons by modifing USB descriptors, reports etc but i dont know how to make my final custom firmware to flash the bootloader.

i use arduino IDE but i think that this software doesnt create .hex files. Any suggestions ?

Any ideas about this bug ?? - YouTube

lostre86:
Nikarus..

Before post this topic i found a looot of stuff for HID joystick but then i realised that i dont know basic things.

I already tried the UnoJoy project, (13 buttons 2 axis) and it worked for me but ONLY for the FIRST time that i connect duino in a USB port,then stopped working! i tried another port, it worked and then stop again! dont know why!

Sadly I don't know either. Before yesterday I'd never looked up unojoy. So sorry can't help jsut yet. This weekend when I get soem time to sit at my workbench at home and tinker I'll try to be more helpful.

i also found a guide to extend Unojoy to 30 buttons by modifing USB descriptors, reports etc but i dont know how to make my final custom firmware to flash the bootloader.

Could you link the guide? I searched a sec and found this thing http://wiki.unojoy.googlecode.com/hg/ExtendingUnoJoy.wiki

i use arduino IDE but i think that this software doesnt create .hex files. Any suggestions ?

On a side note, I've always had a problem with my megas, that if I unplug them while they're trying to communicate with the computer (has been especially noticeable when I try to program 1 a couple times in a row while tweaking my program, and then opening the comp port each time) And I'd need to shut the arduino IDE off all the way. Don't really think this is what your problem would be though.

Don't know, sorry I can't be more help. I know I'll have some free time this weekend to assault some of my projects that have been building up, and will be able to spend some time peeking at unojoy, but I might be able to find some time tonight if I get out of work early.

Reviving this thread. I've built a 6DOF joystick that currently has 0 buttons. I'm looking to get it to show up as a HID joystick so I can play Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft without having to do have the movement controls from the keyboard.

Any advice you can offer would be great.

Just zu say something...
I am thinking about a "joystick" flight simulator, for fsx or other flight simulators, would probably be a lot of fun. How many buttons can I possibly send to the computer, and would it be possible to have outputs for LEDs at the same time?
Also which projects can you recommend, I have not taken a look at them yet...

if you need only buttons,encoders,servo,7-segment display to flight simulators use mobiflight software(have free) working for me FSX nice all radio panel,buttons,switch, encoders,
But my proplem is, mobiflight not support analog input.

i no understand how i make arduino mega 2560 board mega-joy software whit own descriptions ? and how burn hex to in chip ?
i buy usbasp programmer but this board not found port whit flip software or arduino ide, i try many different drivers install but no found port. how this can install and burn new hex file to chip ?
and how made own description to chip ????? i no understand i read many at google but no anywere have good step by step instructuon how use .
i need only all max analog input what can add to mega-joy board. i read have possiple adding 16 analog axis. i no know sure.
who can help and made to me descriptions and step by step what i need can burn new hex file to chip.
sorry i have newbie whit arduino but want build my flight simulator cocpit ready.
and i no understand english good.

how can use 16 axis to joystick, i no need more than all analog input .
how many can add, i read before at 16 analog joystick axis have possiple one arduino mega 2560 board, but no understand how made ?
how make descriction ?

what different have mega board if have ch340 chip, 16U2 chip or new 8U2 chip to board ?

what can use easy whit mega-joy or own usb-hid description ?
and have somebody ready description maximum axis and no more need.
better if have all 16 axis analog input. but maximimum what can add.
my flight sim fsx need only analog axis.