USB HUB external psu - how to draw more than 500ma?

So i have a usb hub with a 2a psu, how can i draw more than 500ma that arduino allows? Can i just get a usb and connect vcc and gnd to my breadboard?

Thanks!

THe USB standard by default is limited to 500mA per device. If you need more than 500mA at 5V, you'll need to find a method that isn't through USB. This means you'll probably just need to find a wall Wart transformer/Rectifier/Filter that you can then feed into a regulator that can handle your current. Don't forget to include at least 50% margin so your power supply doesn't get painfully hot.

But my hub can handle up to 2A.. there's no way to get the power from there? I only have the arduino plugged on it

danielb7390: But my hub can handle up to 2A.. there's no way to get the power from there? I only have the arduino plugged on it

If your USB-HUB is designed properly, there is 500 mA Polyfuses on it's outputs, and it will limit the current per-port to approximately 500 mA. If it's a cheap one, they may have left these out, and you can then pull the 2 A on a single port.

If you need the 5V 2A and do not need the USB HUB, plug the DC-in jack for the HUB to the DC-Jack on your Arduino - if the connector does not fit, cut if off and fit a 2,1/5,5mm plug.

// Per.

plug the DC-in jack for the HUB to the DC-Jack on your Arduino

What will that do? The 5V will be reduced by the reverse polarity diode, and then further impacted by the 5V reguator. So you will not end up with a usable 5A. And the diode will blow at 1A.

Why is the 2A of current needed?

CrossRoads:

plug the DC-in jack for the HUB to the DC-Jack on your Arduino

What will that do? The 5V will be reduced by the reverse polarity diode, and then further impacted by the 5V reguator. So you will not end up with a usable 5A. And the diode will blow at 1A.

Yep, my bad, oops :)

// Per.

I don't need 2A i just wanted to be able to know if it was possible draw more than the 500mA using the hub... like get more from other cable and join them somehow like in parallel

Can get all kinds of wallwarts that will put out more current. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20charger&sprefix=usb+ch%2Caps%2C198&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20charger

I've picked up car adapters at my local hardware store, and wall adapters from Radio Shack, Staples, Ocean State Job Lot (local clearance place) ...

Yep , cant have enough wallwarts. I have a bucketful from friends phone upgrades , consumer goods etc. that cost nowt. Very useful. Recently had to dump about 50 as i had too many to store.

I also have lots of them but most are 12v+ and i don't have a 5v regulator! But thanks anyway

I was only referring to 5V USB wallwarts.

I also have 5V 5.5/2.1mm cabled adapters: http://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=518

And 12V units for driving strings of LEDs.