USB mass storage device

Hello, I'm just getting into Arduino development and I'm looking for a first project (or a long term project to build up to). Here's the idea that I have: On my HDTV, there is support for USB mass storage devices. While this is nice, I would like to avoid having to pull a USB key out, load stuff on it, watch it, reload it, etc. If you google infinitec IUM, you would find a product which does what I want it to, which would be a great solution. I don't need wireless capabilities though, as my router is right behind the TV, and building it seems more fun. Would it be possible to build an "infinite" USB mass storage device with an Arduino and an Ethernet Shield? I know it sounds ambitious for a first project, and I would probably build up to it with smaller projects, but it sounds pretty intriguing.

So the problems I see are: 1) Speed. Maybe the Arduino isn't quick enough to handle the bandwidth for HD video. maybe I would be limited to mp3s. Or maybe that might not even work. 2) USB mass storage device. The TV needs to recognize whatever I plug into it as a mass storage device. I don't think the USB controller onboard will be recognized as such. But I could probably gut an old USB key or something. 3) Network file systems. I'm not sure if SMB or NFS could be implemented. Maybe I'd have to use a simpler protocol, or write my own????

I'm looking for feedback on this idea. Is it feasible? Has it been done? I scoured the forums for similar projects, but I can guarantee I missed something.

Thanks,

Peter

Here's the link to the infinitec announcement http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/exclusive-infinitec-demonstrates-ium-ad-hoc-streaming-device-m/

Maybe the Arduino isn't quick enough to handle the bandwidth for HD video.

Kind of like a turtle at an a Indy car race.

Not necessarily the HD video, but delivering an HD file @ ~ 4 Mbit/sec... maybe that's more like a turtle at a tricycle race?

The arduino cant act as an usb host, its a pretty complicated thing.

The arduino cant act as an usb host, its a pretty complicated thing.

Not alone, anyways. There is the USB Host Shield out, but even that has severe limitations.

There are some better suited AVRs and even PICs with integrated ethernet and full speed USB. You should note that USB 2.0 is a bottle neck for even 720p video in my experience though, so it may be juddery.