USB Microphone Mute Button using a Nano

Hey people,

I know there is already a thread regarding an audio mute button but seeing as it was a fair time ago and that a teensy is nigh unobtainable for a low cost, I was looking through this http://blog.jfedor.org/2013/10/emergency-mute-button.html, which is very similar to what I was looking for, including an arduino nano, however I have no idea how I could program this to, when using a push-to-make type switch, toggle a microphone device input in windows to be muted or unmuted. Any ideas how I could do this?

Thanks, ScaryC

and that a teensy is nigh unobtainable for a low cost

Why did you mention a Teensy ? The link you posted uses a Arduino Micro not a Teensy

Arduino Micros are one of the cheapest types available, they are normally cheaper than a Nano, as they have less components

Anyway, in answer to your question

No. You can't do this with a Nano, as the Nano can't easily emulate a keyboard

You will need an Arduino Micro or an Arduino Leonardo at the minimum. (The Arduino Due etc can also do this but these are even more expensive and would be a waste to use on such a simple project)

You could write a simple program (.net c# lots of examples and with a few lines of code) that would mute/unmute the microphone on your pc and have the program listen for a serial command from any arduino board and connect it to the pc via the usual usb connection.

Are you using an external button like the example or your normal keyboard (that doesn't have a microphone mute hotkey)? What OS are you using?

tinkertech: Are you using an external button like the example or your normal keyboard (that doesn't have a microphone mute hotkey)? What OS are you using?

Im using windows 8.1

Yes I wish to make use of an external button seperate from my keyboard.

ok, so the .net framework will allow you to quickly write a program that will listen to the serial port that your arduino (any model you like) will be connected to. You can also go into control panel and set the arduino to use the same COM port each time.

1. Write a simple function that will mute/unmute the microphone
  2. Write a function that will read the serial data coming in from the arduino (a simple 0 or 1 will work for this)
  3. Then drop in a timer that will call the mute/unmute function based on what the serial command sent is.
  4. Wire any button system you like to a digital pin on the arduino
  5. upload a sketch that will print the button status to the serial (here, you have full control of the commands sent to .net)

Do you have Visual Studio (there is a free version) A google search should show a simple mute/unmute function that you can use: https://www.google.com/search?q=.net+mute+microphone